Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PMS looks pretty user friendly. Is it?

I got the EEC_TUNER when it first came out and had a hell of a time with it. After a few weeks i gave up on it and it now has 2 yrs of dust on the box.

Now that i installed the blower i need electronic tuning. I really hate chips, so i want something i can tune with ease. Hell half the fun is in the build up, and the other half is in the tune..

Anyways I have no idle issues or drivability problem. Just about to ditch the FMU and install my 42lb injectors with new univer MAF & would like to tune it myself..

I also want no part of the TwEECer, as it is to simmilar to the EEC-TUNER. Thanks for any input and help...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry to hear about the eec-tuner.
I have one and i love it. Once you learn how it works its a breeze.

I have a Crane Intercepter II laying around and had the exact oposite problem. The Intercepter is the original PMS and does the same thing. You cant mix and match injectors/maf or directly change any eec paramaters. Its is a lot more user friendly but lacks a lot of the capabilities of the eec tuner. You can't tweak the maf or startup tables or any tables at all. But it will alow you to change timing curves and richen or lean the mixture. Its good for basic tuning but not not very granular..That is you can adjust Idle, cruse and WOT. Anyways..I ditched the intercepter II in favor of the eec-tuner. It's been colecting dust for some time now but it's 100%. I'll let it go cheap if you want to try it out.

Good Luck.

Lane

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Is the crane intercepterII The old version? It lacks some of the new capabilities of the new PMS right? What would you like for it? Trade for another EEC-TUNER ?:D

The EEC-TUNER seemed great and all but as soon as i do any function at all like idle the car has a very very bad throttle responce.. If i clear the function table the car runs normal, then add like the fan to come on early and there is the bad throttle responce again!!!:mad:

I dunno, but it gave on hell of a headache...

Thanks for the response

Carl

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I love the PMS, and sold my TwEECer R/T for the PMS. The new PMS has start-up functions. You can tweek the MAF curve if you upgrade to the InterACQ software (something I will do later this year). But for my car the PMS is plenty for me. I love the boost tables and the simplicity of the software. You adjust everything from zero, for timing you go in 1 degree increments, and you adjust pulsewidth in 2% increments. Go to EFI Systems (maker of the PMS) website and download the manual and check it out for yourself. If you have any questions, I will answer them as best as I can.
http://www.efisystems.com

Troy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I went to andersons web and read through some of the instructions. It looks pretty straight foward but i just want real world opinions. these seem to be the best resorces..

Carl

·
3,478 Posts
Well my real world opinion is "two thumbs up", I love it does what I need and very simple. My car just passed emissions about two weeks ago. This year we have very very strict rules. Last year on a stock EEC with the old "easy" rules, I barely passed, this year with the harder rules and the PMS, I passed like a stock car.

Troy

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
absolutely user-friendly...

I also had great luck with the PMS. I'm far from a computer savvy person, but I had no problems whatsoever learning how to use the PMS. For the majority of us, the PMS does more than we will ever realistically need it to do. I can understand degrees and percentages, as can most people...FWIW, the car I used my PMS unit on was a 3540# Vorteched 86 LX that ran very regular low 10's with a best of [email protected], with un-ported, off the shelf cam, intake, and heads, through an AOD.

Ironically, FastLane was my main rival at the track. At the time, he was running an S trim, ported heads/intake, comparable camshaft, slicks and a transbrake, and wasn't ever able to beat my ET's, or my car...Absolutely not trying to take anything away from his setup, but proof that the PMS "tune" played a major role in the azzwhoopins...:D

***Disclaimer***
FastLane's car now sports intercooled turbo, Sportsman block, with the same EEC tuner and the car is an absolute animal...Thankfully, my old car has been sold...:eek:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Troy- Are you using the PMS for boost retard? I am finally getting detonation running 12 lbs of boost on a stock motor with no retard. Weird huh?lol Anyway, the parts on my short list are

1) Wideband
2) J&S knockguard
3) PMS

What order would you buy them. I can afford one at a time.

Gary

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the memories Rel3rd

The bottom line is, It dosent matter who's system you use to tune your car. They all basicly do the same thing. Some are simpler then others when it comes to inputing the changes but
in the end its the idiot inputing the changes thats the problem.
Input junk in and you get junk performance out.

·
3,478 Posts
FastLane: Very true, every system works as long as user can put in the correct settings.

Gary: Yes I am using the PMS for boost retard, I unplug the BTM knob from my Crane ignition. As for your order of purchase I would do the PMS first, but that's just me. I also have a wideband on order, if the parts ever come in.

Troy

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
No problem Lane...and I agree 100%...it's all a matter of personal preference, AND ability.

Gary, I agree with Troy. The PMS will do more "right now", than either of the other two choices. You could probably eliminate the knock gaurd, and just get the wide band for fine tuning...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts