Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll make this quick.

88 5.0. Since I had the car I had a leaking fuel injector (4 months). Right when I got the car I did a tuneup, everything fine. Then it started developing a miss. I blamed it on the injector, and the miss became more noticable especially when I give it some gas. I changed the injector last week and fixed everything.

I start her up, go down the road...miss is still there and car for some reason feels a little weak. I get new plugs (Autolite 26's) and swap them in today. 6 cyinders the plugs look perfect, cylinder 6/7 both look to have some oil on them. Cyl 6 is where the injector was leaking. Anyways, go down the road and back after changing plugs and everything seems to be fine. Park it, grab a shower to head to the GF's. Go back out to leave (30 mins later), and the car wont start. Playing with it for a minute or two, and it starts but dies instanstly. I do this like 2-3 times, then let it sit for a minute. Let it sit, then try it again....cranked 10 times then fired right up, choked a little bit, then smoothened out..IDK WTF happened.

Problem w/ the miss is still here though. I can't really notice it at idle, but when I'm in D or OD going about 45/55 and give it a little bit of gas, it starts almost sputtering then catches itself. Cap/rotor/plugs changed, I tested the wires good resistance on all. Only thing else I can think of is fuel (maybe pump)..IDK. It only does it when slowly taking off a little or partial throttle as described above.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Jon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timing looked like 15, though I couldn't see it very well. I'll get new hoses tomorrow for vac lines and check for leaks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would do a compression check on cylinder 6 and 7 since you said you found oil on the plugs. Also, check the fuel pressure with the vacum line off at idle. Another thing you should check is to make sure the fuel pressure rises with the engine under load(driving). Im really thinkin this is a fuel problem since you said it sputters when giving it gas while cruising. Let us kow what happens.
Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, it is really getting worse.

Today, got up and drove it to work, everything fine. Didn't notice anything at all. I get to work and chill for a couple of hours. Leave to go to lunch, and don't really notice much. I get home, grab some fewd, and head back to work. The second I started the car I could tell something was wrong. I go to head back to work, and it's doing it really bad. In low RPM, high RPM, everywhere. I get back to work (wasn't sure if I was going to or not) and shut her off. I check the coil at work, resitstance is fine vs 2 new coils I had at the shop. I also grabbed a fuel filter there b/c of a suggestion of a customer. I go to head home a few hours later, and barely notice anything. I get home and shut her off. I let her sit for like 3 minutes while I grabbed a piece of plywood to roll on to. I go back to start her up, and she dies. I start her up again, she idles for a second, then dies again like she has no fuel. I try like 5 times, and she wont start. Crank forever, but wont start. I change the fuel filter hoping this was the problem, and start her afterward. I start her up afterward, and she chokes for a second but stays ideling. She idles for like 45 secs, then the car just shuts of for no apparent reason. I crank her again and she dies instantly. Crank again, and she starts up but is missing and is idleing rough... Anyone wtf is happening?

It almost sounds like it might be small backfiring, instead of being a miss. It's almost like a cough, and she did backfire on me once last week when I was changing the intake mani out; but I'm not hearing any loud popping. At this point I'm desperate though, anyone have any more suggestions?

-Jon

·
Registered
163 Posts
Again, did you check your fuel pressure?

·
Registered
538 Posts
You have to figure out why are you fouling those two plugs. Fuel pressure check is also a good idea like Jason says. But definitelly you should do a leak down test.

·
Registered
356 Posts
why dont you also set the timing at ten untill you get problem is solved and then do the compression test and fuel pressure test wont take long if you already have the stuff

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You have to have a guage or a fuel pressure tester. What kind of shop to you work in that you have spare coils laying around? If it's an automotive shop you will have a fuel pressure tester. Find a spare spark plug (or spare spark plug wire and spark plug) and keep them with you. Next time it won't start pop the hood put the spare on (unplug any of your existing wires) and run the wire with sparkplug up your intake toward you cowell. Put the plug where you can see it from the drivers seat and crank it over. You should see and hear the plug fire. If not, you probably have a coil in need of replacement. If it's getting spark and still not starting up then it could be anything. Hit wal-mart and get a code reader. ;)

Why are you running 26s... for now I would put 24s back in it. And as some1 mentioned above pull your timing down for now too. The problems on 6 and 7 would worry me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You absolutely have to get a guage. Hook it up to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Pull the the vacum line off the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure to plug the line with your thumb. Do this at idle. To check it under load, you need a guage that is either long enough to run into the car, or at least to the windsheild so you can read the pressure. Go for a cruise, and read the PSI as you give it gas. I should increase. BTW, leave the vacum line hooked up. And definately change youre plugs back to the 24s. Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts