Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i dont know what happend to the post, so il try this agian....

Well heres the scoop... 94GT aode, 10lbs vortech supercharged, 12:1 FMU , AFM power pipe, 3.3"/7" pulleys.. full exhuast, walbro gss340 pump, and bbk adjustable fuel presure regulator..

Well it seems, from looking at the plugs that i have been getting a slight bit of detonation.
(i have heard it ping once or twice, in high 3rd gear, under 8lbs).. but i let off as soon as i detected any ping. That would probably explain the spotting on the plugs... Other then that they dont look to be carbon, or oiled up... Funny thing is, my car seems to be running very rich.. so why arent they plugs black, if its running so rich. Base fuel presure varies from 47psi to 50psi..
WOT presure is usually around 85psi. Top end doesnt seem to be running overaly rich or anything.. actually feels right on. its just down low, its like its running pig rich, i get some surging, stumbling, and hesatation(like its running too rich)... Then agian, what gets me is why my plugs dont show a rich condition..
Although my tailpipes have always been really black with carbon buildup... I dont know, what the deal here is... Ide like to get it running decent, the way it sits now...then in time, pick up a
Pro-m77 meter, 42lb injectors, an inline pump, and get a good safe tune...

Heres the plugs, just as they came out...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks lean to me, try cooler plugs, 2 heat ranges.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i always thought running lean would make the plugs all white... they arent white at all, still look like they did when i took them out of the box, except for the spotting. Those are Autolite 24's
gapped at .032 So theyre one range colder.. u really think i need 2 ranges colder?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Get a tune and quit fooling with the FMU. Its not worth messing around with it, since you run lean and rich at different points. Get a custom chip, Fordchip.com will get you close to perfect by mail.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, sh!tcan the FMU, but get a dyno tune and custom chip.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's better to melt a plug than a piston. Stay @ 24's. Just get a tune w/ wideband

·
Registered
342 Posts
unless your happy with 330-350 hp, otherwise you'll need more injector.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Would fordchip be able to get the tune figured out through mail? i would imgine thats somthing that would need to be on a dyno, with a wideband o2.. So u can get that nice a/f ratio through the rpms..
But yea i really dont like the idea of the FMU, becuase its kinda crude. BUt it came with the kit, when i bought it, and its all i had, and have right now, to use with the 19lb injectors and mass air.
I bet the A/F ratio is all over the place through out the rpms.
Pretty soon here i plan to get the whole air/fuel deal done..
Mass air, inline pump, 42's and a tune.. Then GO the stroker route(331) with heads/cam/intake/tb...Tranny.
But for now, i will bump the timing down a notch, and make the best of it. It does make nice power even untuned with the fmu... i was very surprised... nite and day diference, literly twice the power as without the blower... atleast thats seat of the pants feel... Now i think im going to get brave and run it this sunday, at bithlo, hopfully il see Clemens9 and Greendroptop94 there too..
so they can both humiliate a blown car...lol!

·
Registered
339 Posts
if your plans are 331 then go with 42's a Pro-m 80, and lose the inline. No need w/ the pump you have now. Also get those inj. & Maf then get a JMS mail chip.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I know it sounds like im advertising, but honestly, the best mail order chip is a ford chip. Im speaking out of personal experience, not here-say. They have tuned any combination you can think of, so they can do yours very easily by mail. They were the only people who could tune a supercharged V6 when the first person slapped a vortech on it, and they did it by mail and it was better than the dynotunes the guy got in person. Hell, they got my car to idle beautifully with no surging, and i have the imfamous e-cam, and i picked up 20 rwhp just off the tune. They will get the most safe HP you can have, and your car will have the drivability of an unmodified car. If your anything is wrong with the program they give you, they will reburn it for free. Trust me, its the only way to go.

Mark

·
Registered
342 Posts
Every car is different, fordchip might be the best mail order, but I still think a dyno tune is best. Just an opinion though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sure dyno tune hands down...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts