Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
engine.

It is a fox lake 347 with about 350 miles on it. Blower belt is NOT on, and all the miles are break-in miles.

I checked the catch can at about 75-100 miles and it was bone dry. I pulled the breather off last night to look in it and about crapped myself when I saw how much oil was in there(!)

Could allot of this oil be from maybe when the car is under load and accelerating hard and the oil gets thrown to the back of the lower intake and just gets pushed up the hose and into the catch can via a combination of gravity and pressure, or would it be soley from the pressure caused by blow by?

THe car does smoke some (though not as bad as what you would think with this much oil collected), but there is NO smoke coming from the breather on the valve cover at idle or when I rev it up (unlike the blow by I used to have when the rings were shot and it would blow smoke and oil right out of the breather on the valve cover.)

Picture of the catch can and the line running to the PCV valve in the lower.

Picture of how much oil has collected in the can in about 200 miles.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would tend to think somethings wrong but thats just my OPinion

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slow86GT said:
I would tend to think somethings wrong but thats just my OPinion
That was definitely my first thought (and I still fear it still might be), but if you stop and think about it, I don't see how that much oil could collect in the can just from blow by. If the blow by was that bad, wouldn't I get some smoke and oil coming out of the breather? I mean there is NONE. That is why I am thinking (hoping) that the oil that has collected in the can is mainly from gravity as the car accelerates. That would also explain why I didn't get any during the first 100 or so miles (cause I drove it really easy), and why I am getting allot right now (I am driving it harder, thus it is accelerating harder and forcing the oil towards the back.) Although there is no blower belt on right now, the car runs strong enough to be in the low 12's so gravity (if its at all a possibility) should be strong enough to move the oil quickly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
not for sure if this would be a smart thing to do or not but could you block off the tank and then see where it goes then,either breather or exhaust,just throwing out suggestions

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
thats comming out the PVC right? if so are you using a high pressure oil pump..347s are known for there high crank case pressure and high pressure pumps will makes excesive oil pressure also..my bet is its there 2 things 2gether making all that oil come out

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
i dont even understand how it can be that high in the can to begin with, the hose going to the PCV is below that oil thats in the can (from what i can see). so there would be oil filling the line as well right now, the draining back into the engine. right??

you could be absolutely right about the inertia pushing the oil to the rear of the lower intake and sucking it up but that still shouldnt be happening that much. do you still have the screen under the PCV? and is the PCV new? what about the baffle under the lower intake (in the lifter valley) that blocks some oil from splashing into the pcv?

thats really not the way ive seen catch cans run though. most of the time they are from the valve covers and not the rear of the lower (i think the inertia thing we are thinkgin about is a reason people dont run it that way). you have a stroker motor thus creating more blow-by than normal, its just the way things happen. so i can see why you are getting a lot in the can but that is rediculous.

id check on routing the can differently like in the valve covers.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
718 Posts
try running lines out of your valve covers into the tank and take the line off of where its connected with the PCV,I think I read that right ,you have it plummbed into the pcv,right?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, everyone. It looks like I should put another hole in the passenger side valve cover (I have the one blocked off cause my throttle body is directly over top of it. Currently I have one hole in the driverside valve cover) and route some more hose from both valve covers to the catch can and just block off the hole in the lower where the PCV goes.

I was not aware of the risks of running a high-volume oil pump with 347. Interesting.

Yes, I am running the screen and the baffle in the lower below the PCV valve (which makes it VERY hard to believe that I collected THAT much oil in the catch can, but I assure you I did.) (In less than 200 miles too! :eek: )

Wonder what its going to do AFTER I throw the blower belt on? :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts