Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car suffers from serious fumes no smoke just heavy fumes oder . The engine is fairly stock except.. shorties,h-pipe,msd 6a,pullies,255 lph intank pump (previous owner had plans for NOS) thats about it the engine idles smooth and has incredible power for its age. The engine has plenty of miles over 100k.. what can be done to minimize fumes.. adj fuel pressure? reset computer? etc.. for now its got a factory regulator but not for long what should the pressure be at?. I understand the H-pipe doesn't help, but ive had other stangs with H-pipes and more mods with less fumes. Also I have plans for a rebuild but for now I have to make due. In your opinions
would I benefit from adding a can of engine restorer next oil change?

Sometimes the fumes have me feeling like im about to
:barf:

Thanx!

·
Registered
13 Posts
probably running rich. did you check the plugs? maybe bad oxygen sensors or something. did you check for codes yet?

M

·
0 Posts
How old is car?
Bad exhaust system, holes in floor, clogged Cats?
Rich?
Just a few.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i agree, you're probably running rich. if the previous owner had it NOS ready, check the spark plugs, they may be too cold and not igniting the mixture completely. also, if the exhaust is dumped instead of through tailpipes that could add to the fumey smell. you could just be lazy though and get a tune up, that'll probably fix the richness/timing/plugs and what not.

Aaron

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fumes

The car has 132K miles. In very good shape. H-pipes no cats
Question :
How can I tell when Im purchasing spark plugs the temp they operate at ?
Tuning the tps..
Ive done it before just need a refresher course. Its been awhile
Volt meter setting ?
Wire connections ?
I beleive its supposed to be between .96 and .98 right?

Thanx for your help guys !!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You need a volt meter with the piercing leads. You just pierce the tps wires and loosen the screws and get it within .96-.99. If you cant pierce the wires easily, use a couple of safety pins...pierce the wires with them and close the clasps on them, then just put the meter leads through the "spring coil" on the safety pins. This way frees up your hands to adjust the tp sensor.

You didn't mention if you have exhaust fumes or fuel smell. If it's just exhaust fumes, you probably have an exhaust leak. IF you you don't have a "ticking" sound (like an exhaust leak) then it's probably a leak after the mufflers. Knowudimean?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fumes

Hey ragtop ..

Thanx! for the quick refresher course. I'm for sure its not a leak from the exhaust. The exhuast is tight . It just feels like a tuning problem maybe plugs timing. I'll check the tps. also, How do I know between a cold plug or a warm plug ? and what should be used here in South Florida?

About your top, have you ever replaced it ? whats it cost you and did you ever consider doing it yuourself ?

Ralph

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you running tailpipes or just exhaust dumped at muffler??:confused: It does makes big difference. Also the fumes will be noticable when running without cat converter.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You're going to get some fumey-smelly stuff wihtout cats no matter what you do to the tune. I noticed that a couplea years ago when I switched from off-road to cat X pipe on my mostly stock coupe with full exhaust. If you're running a little rich that would make it smell somewhat stronger, but if you really want to save your nose and not get stared at when going through the drive-thru window, weld some cats into your H.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts