Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thermostat stuck, so i put a new one in. It worked fine run cool, put about 50 miles on my car. But when i let it set over night the thermostat will not open, it starts getting warm so i crack the radiator cap. Almost all the coolant blows out, but after i crack the cap, and all the coolant blows out I refill it and it starts opening. I thought that the new thermostat was messing up so i put another new one in, and it overheated again this morning. But after i cracked the cap and all the antifreeze blew out, i refilled it and it started working. Also there is no heat until the thermostat opens. Is it an air lock, head gasket?

Thanks
Brian.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

I also put a new water pump on not even a year ago.

·
Registered
23,604 Posts
Definite air trapped in the cooling system(inhirent problem with foxes). A good trick from this forum is to park your car on an incline so the air can escape, also do not fill the rad completely leave five to six inches below the cap. As the car is heating up with the rad cap off start squeezing(this is why you don't want comletely fill the rad) the upper rad hose and when the stat opens you should see the fluid level drop sharply. add more coolent to reach about 2 inches below the cap level and keep squeezing the upper rad hose until the temp guage reads normal operating temp and hot air comes out of the heater. then fill rad as ness. and put the cap on and fill overflow with coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts