Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that i should buy a prepped short or long block from a company like panhandle or coast high with a stroker kit already installed, or should i find a good engine builder around my area and work with him to build an engine i want. Either way i am going to start from scratch with a new engine...i won't be using the stock block, and i will stroke the engine either way. Also what are roller engines, are they stock engines? Plenty Thanks!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Roller engines have roller lifters (essentially, wheels on the camshaft side of the lifter), as opposed to tappet camshafts which are just flat metal there. Rollers let you run a cam with more ramp (open & close the valves quicker so they can be open longer). Non-roller blocks can usually be retrofitted to accept roller cams (albiet with a smaller base circle).

Sounds to me like you should talk to the pros in your area and tell them what your plans are. Are you looking to run 12s or just make the ricers hate you more?

Edit: Stock engines are roller engines from 1987 and newer, maybe 85 or 86 too. I don't know much about the 4-eyed stangs.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
If you can find a suitable shop nearby, I'd start there. If there are problems or issues they can be dealt with face to face.

I had a local race motor builder assemble my 408, I'm pleased with the experience and the attention to detail they gave it.

I'm sure mail-order engines are fine but I liked to try to keep it semi-local just for convenience.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Like said before if you can find a good engine shop around your area I would go through them then any issues you have you can talk to them face to face. If you do decide to go mailorder, I would give coast high performance a shot. I have a few friends who ordered 347 shortlblocks from them and they were very happy with them. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts