Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00' GT with about 48,000 miles. A couple of months ago my car started sputtering/missing, so I went to autozone to have some codes pulled, which indicated a bad o2 sensor (didnt know at the time). I cleaned my mass air and changed spark plugs but still had the problem, and a rich and lean condition. Now for my question. Well, a couple of weeks ago my car started making a metal ticking sound. I thought it might be an exhaust leak, but it really doesnt sound like one. Could the engine be damaged from the bad o2? The only thing that gives me a little hope that my cars not gonna blow up is it doesnt make the sound when the engine is cold, only after its been ran. It constantly ticks at idle, and the sound speeds up with the engine, its almost like a rattling sound. I have no idea what it is or what to do, and i dont want to cause any more damage than there already may be. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions, I know my explanation of the sound might not be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Kris00gt said:
I have a 00' GT with about 48,000 miles. A couple of months ago my car started sputtering/missing, so I went to autozone to have some codes pulled, which indicated a bad o2 sensor (didnt know at the time). I cleaned my mass air and changed spark plugs but still had the problem, and a rich and lean condition. Now for my question. Well, a couple of weeks ago my car started making a metal ticking sound. I thought it might be an exhaust leak, but it really doesnt sound like one. Could the engine be damaged from the bad o2? The only thing that gives me a little hope that my cars not gonna blow up is it doesnt make the sound when the engine is cold, only after its been ran. It constantly ticks at idle, and the sound speeds up with the engine, its almost like a rattling sound. I have no idea what it is or what to do, and i dont want to cause any more damage than there already may be. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions, I know my explanation of the sound might not be very helpful.
I have a hiccup/miss at idle sometimes, its intermittent and I dont know what it is either. Sounds like an arcing plug wire, but we dont have plug wires.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kris00gt said:
some questions:

how long after a cold start does it make the noise?

is it a loud noise or barely audiable?

does the car still sputter/miss/run poorly?

do you have any engine lights on ?

any other stored codes?

ever had the balancer/dampner replaced or otherwise removed and reninstalled?

An 02 sensor won't cause your symptoms.

if you're getting a rich lean condition then you need to attack that first.

i'm thinking, from your description, you may have cam timing that is off (unlikely but possible); bad fuel pump; bad maf; stuck injector; or some other mechanical problem causing a lean/rich condition and noise.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check to make sure your plugs are torqued to 15 ft/lbs, mine made that same ticking noise right before it blew a spark plug out of the head. One of the front 02's might cause the car to run rough/rich/lean, did you ever replace the bad one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fixer said:
some questions:

how long after a cold start does it make the noise?

is it a loud noise or barely audiable?

does the car still sputter/miss/run poorly?

do you have any engine lights on ?

any other stored codes?

ever had the balancer/dampner replaced or otherwise removed and reninstalled?

An 02 sensor won't cause your symptoms.

if you're getting a rich lean condition then you need to attack that first.

i'm thinking, from your description, you may have cam timing that is off (unlikely but possible); bad fuel pump; bad maf; stuck injector; or some other mechanical problem causing a lean/rich condition and noise.

After a cold start I would say maybe 5 min. before I hear the noise.

The noise is audible, but not loud. Maybe somewhere close to noisy lifters or a little louder, except it is a single ticking.

Yes, the car still sputters, but its not all of the time, kinda random

The SES light has been on since the h-pipe, but I got some codes pulled from auto-zone.
- p0153
- p0174
- p0175
- p1151

Never messed with the balancer

I also checked the spark plugs for the proper torque and every thing was good.

·
Registered
352 Posts
p0153- Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit Slow Response - Bank No. 2.

p0174- System Too Lean - Bank No. 2

p0175- System Too Rich - Bank No. 2.

p1151- Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2.

Get the o2 replaced now. It's fairly obvious that it's malfunctioning. Once you get that replaced reset the computer and see how it's running.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kris00gt said:
After a cold start I would say maybe 5 min. before I hear the noise.

The noise is audible, but not loud. Maybe somewhere close to noisy lifters or a little louder, except it is a single ticking.

Yes, the car still sputters, but its not all of the time, kinda random

The SES light has been on since the h-pipe, but I got some codes pulled from auto-zone.
- p0153
- p0174
- p0175
- p1151

po153 pretty much means the bank 2 (drivers side) o2 is dead. you'll need to replace that one way or the other.

i think you've got an injector problem:

get a stethoscope (5.00$ at most auto stores) and probe bank 2 injectors. listen for one or more to have a different frequency and "tone" from the others (bank one).

the one that sounds off should be the one that is bad.

while you're at it probe the valve covers for the ticking noise you hear. it could be a valve-train related problem as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would that be the driver side front o2? I'm gonna replace it first thing tomorrow. Could long term lean/rich conditions cause permanent damage to the engine, hence the noise? Man its gonna suck if I have to replace the bottom end or something else expensive.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kris00gt said:
would that be the driver side front o2? I'm gonna replace it first thing tomorrow. Could long term lean/rich conditions cause permanent damage to the engine, hence the noise? Man its gonna suck if I have to replace the bottom end or something else expensive.
yeah front 02.

if the condition was severe enough then yeah a rich or lean condition can run down your engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what tools do i need to change it? It looks like its a tight fit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
A wrench. If you happen to have a ratcheting box end wrench then it'll be even easier. You might want to use some PB blaster to loosen it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i replaced the o2 sensor and the car seems to be running fine now, although I'll wait for the check engine light to come back on (no MILs) and have them scan it again.

As far as the noise, could a faulty fuel injector make such a noise? I was thinking today and remembered noticing the noise after coming from my friends house which involves going over some pretty nasty railroad tracks, and just hearing the h-pipe scrub and hit. Is there any chance it knocked the h-pipe loose on one of the header flanges? The noise sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor, and i cant tell which side, so i dont know if that could be it or not. Just wishful thinking i guess.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kris00gt said:

Is there any chance it knocked the h-pipe loose on one of the header flanges? The noise sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor, and i cant tell which side, so i dont know if that could be it or not. Just wishful thinking i guess.
well, if you think that it resembles and exhaust leak and it sounds liek it is coming from the top of the engine then try looking around for an exhaust leak at the manifold and the EGR tube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, replacing the o2 sensor fixed all exept the noise.

Like Ive said, it doesnt make the noise when the motor is cold. You can hear it when you rev up the motor or are driving, but the noise dissapears again when decelerating or idleing back down from reving it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kris00gt said:
well, replacing the o2 sensor fixed all exept the noise.

Like Ive said, it doesnt make the noise when the motor is cold. You can hear it when you rev up the motor or are driving, but the noise dissapears again when decelerating or idleing back down from reving it.
i hope everything works out for you.

that must've been one messed up 02.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what should I do to try and figure out what the noise is?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kris00gt said:
what should I do to try and figure out what the noise is?
i;d suggest getting a stethoscope and poking around the engine to find where it is loudest.

start where you think you are hearing the noise from.

Stethoscopes are widely available. sears, and most auto stores have them. they are all under 10$.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts