Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:barf:

Damn I hate emissions testing. I need some help. I have off-road H pipe, dynomax ultra flows and dumps. I think I need to have my tailpipes welded back on or they cant test it, is that correct? As for the H-pipe, I would like to test it as is first, and if I fail I will find a stocker to swap out, but what can I do to give myself a chance to pass with the off-roader?? I have heard of people putting alcohol or octane booster in their tanks, can somebody give me a good "recipe" to try to pass? Is this just rubbing alcohol that you buy in a drugstore? How much? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
521 Posts
In IL, if they look under your car (and they will) and don't see cats, it's an instant fine according to federal laws. You don't HAVE to have real tail pipes welded on. You can get some of that universal flexible tail pipe stuff at an auto store and clamp it to the outlet of your mufflers. Get it all attached and secured BEFORE you leave for the testing.

I used to live in IL until about a year ago.

Find a catted H and put it on the first time, that way there's no fines and no extra trips.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree with the above post,,, except I wouldnt even bother trying to pass without the cats in place...

Garunteed way to pass is:

use the stock 4 cat converter assembly and run a hose from the smog pump directly to the cat via a hose,, this way it pumps fresh air into the cats and makes it pass like a honda.. Trust me it works my car just passed with 42lb injectors and anderson B-4 cam and blower! There stupid dyno couldnt handle the HP of my car though,, was jumping all around (I was scared)

Brad

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The only area in IL that has mandatory testing is in Chicago. If you're in DeKalb you shouldn't have to worry about it unless you've been stopped and they've checked. I ran all around that area for 6 years with no emissions of any sort and the only time I caught any flak for it was when I was in the suburbs and had a total brake failure. The place I took it to wouldn't work on the brakes 'cause I didn't have emissions and the owner threatened to report me to the EPA. Why are you concerned about putting emissions on your car? Now it is illegal to have exhaust gases being dumped in front of the rear wheel, hence the need for tailpipes. Is this your problem?

Carson

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just put the stock h pipe on and be done with it, i just passed with heads/intake/cam with flying colors. You will NOT pass with an off road h pipe and dont even try to go in with no taillpipes, thats an automatic fail. Get tailpipes welded back on and put the stocker h pipe on there.
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts