Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that the 93 GT I just bought in perfect condition has only 205 hp stock and all others had 225 hp stock. Can someone tell me why this is. The engines are exactly the same and 93's had better gear ratio's I think also. Is it the computer. What make 20 hp.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
The '93s have the same amount of power as all the others. Ford just changed they way it rated the HP, starting in '93.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep,,and you can thank the INSURANCE INSTITUTE for that. So you got the same ponies that everyone else started out with.:lol:

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If you drove a '91 GT with the same setup you'd still be right next to him

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Sharad said:
BUT.... they did give you hyperpathetic pistons... so THAT sucks-
:bs: Let the guy be happy with his car, the hypereutectic pistons aren't a potential problem until you start using power adders like nitrous or boost.

The '93 engine is IDENTICAL to the ones that came before it, it's just that Ford hadn't re-rated them to account for minor running changes like MAF since the '87 was introduced...and besides, when you're Ford and you're about to introduce an "all new" '94 5.0 with 215 hp you can call it a 10-hp increase...even though it isn't...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Those pistons are ok too. Ive been spraying the hell out of my 93 with zero problems. Dont worry you have the same power as everybody else.

·
Registered
375 Posts
...Great, now I AM the one who's pissed... I just spent $12,000 for a Real Street motor because the guy at the machine shop told me the stock short-block wouldn't hold up to any good power!!! :mad:

Hypereutectic pistons RULE!!! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Does the word "context" mean ANYTHING to you, or do you just assume that everyone who posts here is bulding a Real Street motor? :blam:

·
Registered
375 Posts
MFE: You said "The '93 engine is IDENTICAL to the ones that came before it" which is a FLAT OUT LIE. He asked about the difference between his '93 and other (87-92) 5.0s. I point out the pistons and you throw up a "BS flag" and then insinuate that I'm raining on the guy's parade.

Since you're the one that brought up context, why is it wrong to answer his question by pointing out the piston difference? My dad has had a Vortech V-1 S-trim sitting in his garage for months because he doesn't want to put the blower on his '93 MUSTANG with hypereutectic pistons. As such, I think it is a RELEVENT point. Or are blowers not common where you're from?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Sharad said:
MFE: You said "The '93 engine is IDENTICAL to the ones that came before it" which is a FLAT OUT LIE.
I figured we were big enough people to understand that I meant "except for the pistons", which have NO material bearing on the performance of the car, until (and even then, maybe) you start throwing power adders on it. A '91, 92, 93 engine, makes no difference, except for the pistons they're identical performance-wise and specification-wise. Oh, ok, somewhere in there they started using TTY bolts and changed the color of the oil pan, so they're not IDENTICAL, so sue me.

He asked about the difference between his '93 and other (87-92) 5.0s. I point out the pistons and you throw up a "BS flag" and then insinuate that I'm raining on the guy's parade.
I threw the flag because here's a guy who's been told his car is down on power (it's not) and you say he's got hyper pistons, THAT sucks. No, it doesn't, because he's got the same ****ing engine in the car that the 92 or 91 he may have looked at did and the pistons don't make a damned bit of difference for most people, because most people aren't going to put a power adder on their car.

Since you're the one that brought up context, why is it wrong to answer his question by pointing out the piston difference? My dad has had a Vortech V-1 S-trim sitting in his garage for months because he doesn't want to put the blower on his '93 MUSTANG with hypereutectic pistons.
You clearly DON'T know what context is, because he didn't say anything about sitting on a V-1 or building a Real Street car, and probability being what it is, chances are better than good he never will. Get it now?

As such, I think it is a RELEVENT point. Or are blowers not common where you're from?
Yeah, about as common as a 6-toed cat. They're out there and I see them, just like where you live, but they're a small percentage of the overall mustang population, just like where you live. Context, my man, context. Everybody YOU know may have a forced-induction 5.0 but that doesn't mean all or even most of the 5.0's out there do or will.

The point remains that giving the dude a freak-out about his pistons, given the likelihood he's ever going to have a problem with them, was just wrong.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Easy there Sharad.:eek:

The motors power wise are identical. Part wise, they may be a tad different. Later 5.0's had different pistons, but it doesn't mean that they're all that bad.

Keep the tune and power level in check and hypereutectic's will last quite some time. I've sprayed on these pistons for a while now. They just aren't as tolerant to detonation as a forged piston is. Where a forged may hold together and the head gasket would say bye-bye, the hypereutectic may in fact break.

Greg

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Be happy you've got a 93, from what I've seen the later years, 92-93 seem to be more solidly built than that of the earlier models. Less squeaks and **** like that.

I thought the valve covers were black on the 93s too. Not that it matters. Your engine is not any less than the 5.0 in a 92 like others have already said.

I think the gear ratios were the same, 2.73s, 3.08s and 3.27s as an option for the auto cars.

Now go romp on that thing!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sharad said:
My dad has had a Vortech V-1 S-trim sitting in his garage for months because he doesn't want to put the blower on his '93 MUSTANG with hypereutectic pistons. As such, I think it is a RELEVENT point. Or are blowers not common where you're from?
Why do people think hypereutectic pistons crumble and turn to dust whenever they see a little boost? I had an A-trim making 10 lbs of boost on one of my '93 cobras for over 30,000 miles with no problems. It's not the pistons, it's the tune.

Bill

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, about as common as a 6-toed cat.
I have a 6-toed cat....we call her "Mittens" :p

Tell Pop to but the blower on....As said above "It's all in the tune" Check out my sig with a stock '93 short block and those "crappy" pistons.;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
mustanggreg said:
They just aren't as tolerant to detonation as a forged piston is. Where a forged may hold together and the head gasket would say bye-bye, the hypereutectic may in fact break.
This is not a trivial detail here.... For those that are mechanically challenged, if your piston breaks, you can essentially write off your engine-

I think it's great that Snapper can get 109mph by "spraying the hell out of his '93", and that Blown93 can get 410HP out of his... but I'd rather not tempt fate. It's kinda like a TKOII. He can upgrade his motor and rear first, and then replace the T-5 after it breaks, or he can just put a good trans in earlier. (then again, he may keep the car stock forever)

Sorry for the flame. Just trying to educate "SlowColt93".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks a bunch

I'm not using a power adder with this motor or spraying any time soon with this motor. If all your info is correct then i'm happy. Thanks a lot. I'm only doing a few mods. 4.10 gears, i put a pro 50 in. put a superchip in it. Going to put pulleys on. Cnl mass air kit with tube. bbk longtubes and off road h pipe with mac dumps. Then do suspension and chassis work, weight reductions and looks before anything else. I just ordered a 3 inch fiberglass cowl hood. Ill take out the ac and put plastic racing seats in. Prob take out the back seats also.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
OK, here's what I read regarding this whole engine thing. 87-92, Ford rated the net BHP using a non-production line 302. Starting in 93, they began using a production line 302 engine, and the switch to hypereutectic pistons was due to stringent emissions requirements for that year. This is according to an issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords although I cannot remember which issue it was. Whether or not it is true, I dont know. Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Sharad said:
This is not a trivial detail here.... For those that are mechanically challenged, if your piston breaks, you can essentially write off your engine-

I think it's great that Snapper can get 109mph by "spraying the hell out of his '93", and that Blown93 can get 410HP out of his... but I'd rather not tempt fate. It's kinda like a TKOII. He can upgrade his motor and rear first, and then replace the T-5 after it breaks, or he can just put a good trans in earlier. (then again, he may keep the car stock forever)

Sorry for the flame. Just trying to educate "SlowColt93".
SAPPER SAPPER SAPPER! Get it right! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.