Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on swapping my 408 C 4V into a 90 LX Hatch. Looking for headers, oil pan, mounts and tubular k member. Any recommendations. I will be running a C 4. This pump gas engine ran [email protected] in my 72 Mach 1 at 3800 pounds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Planning on swapping my 408 C 4V into a 90 LX Hatch. Looking for headers, oil pan, mounts and tubular k member. Any recommendations. I will be running a C 4. This pump gas engine ran [email protected] in my 72 Mach 1 at 3800 pounds.
Heavy block for it's original displacement, but very sturdy, bigger main bearing diameter I think than even 385 series.

11.48 sounds excellent. You did this obviously carburetted. Have you considered the possibility of fuel injecting that engine? Not central port, or similar hoakum, but full-sequential EFI. My biggie was a 390 FE I so converted; a nice challenging project!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heddman makes the engine swap headers for this application but I cannot remember the part number. They are listed as 'engine swap' headers for a 351C in a fox mustang. The headers fit very well as each tube bolts on individually and has a slip on collector. D&D Automotive Specialties sells the swap headers for a fox also. Moroso, Canton and some others make the oil pans, and any tubular k member that is used for a 302 or 351W will work. Same with the mounts. The swap is pretty simple.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also keep in mind that the Cleveland the the GM LS series share port spacing, so LS+Fox headers (plentiful) could be an option, if you're a welder/fabricator.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Also keep in mind that the Cleveland the the GM LS series share port spacing, so LS+Fox headers (plentiful) could be an option, if you're a welder/fabricator.
The LS has a 110mm bore spacing. Let's call that a 4.33" bore center. The Cleveland has a 4.38" bore spacing, which is the same as the 302/351W. IF you are thinking about reflanging a set of headers, it would make more sense to start with a set of 302 or 351W headers and add the Cleveland flange. Just remember that the Cleveland deck height is higher than the 302's and lower than the 351W's. Which will effect where the tubes are in relation to where the steering shaft is.

For curiosity I looked up the LS deck height to compare to the Cleveland. It is 9.24" for the LS versus 9.206" for the Cleveland.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The LS has a 110mm bore spacing. Let's call that a 4.33" bore center. The Cleveland has a 4.38" bore spacing, which is the same as the 302/351W. IF you are thinking about reflanging a set of headers, it would make more sense to start with a set of 302 or 351W headers and add the Cleveland flange. Just remember that the Cleveland deck height is higher than the 302's and lower than the 351W's. Which will effect where the tubes are in relation to where the steering shaft is.

For curiosity I looked up the LS deck height to compare to the Cleveland. It is 9.24" for the LS versus 9.206" for the Cleveland.
Not sure your Cleveland would appreciate the tiny primaries (1.5-1.625") that come on most 302/351W headers, haha. Numbers are closer than I thought, at .050" port spacing and .034" deck, BUT the $$$ savings would have to be justified. If a guy scored the headers for $100-200, then did the welding/fab himself, it would carry some value. The Husler series 1.875" primary swap headers from Hedman are ~$630 for PN-85620.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Not sure your Cleveland would appreciate the tiny primaries (1.5-1.625") that come on most 302/351W headers, haha. Numbers are closer than I thought, at .050" port spacing and .034" deck, BUT the $$$ savings would have to be justified. If a guy scored the headers for $100-200, then did the welding/fab himself, it would carry some value. The Husler series 1.875" primary swap headers from Hedman are ~$630 for PN-85620.
You can buy 1 7/8" and 2" primary headers for 351W's. Not cheap, but they are available.

I have read that the 351C headers for '71-'73 Mustangs can be made to work, but have no first hand experience.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You can buy 1 7/8" and 2" primary headers for 351W's. Not cheap, but they are available.

I have read that the 351C headers for '71-'73 Mustangs can be made to work, but have no first hand experience.

I've heard that also. I hope it's close to being right, I plan for a Clevor in my Ranchero, and my friend has some old 71-73 Mustang headers I plan to try. Nothing will be perfect given Cleveland swaps, so expect some alterations to be needed. I had long tubes in my first car, a 72 Gran Torino 351-4V, I did not like the low hung collectors. I figure on raising those up somehow, and use V-band clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts