Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of pistons does a 87 GT come with stock? Hyperutectic? If so, has anybody used forced induction with these pistons and had luck, or no luck as the case might be.
Thanks in advance to any answers
Thad

·
Registered
873 Posts
They started putting the hypertutectics (sp??) in the '93s

·
Registered
351 Posts
hypereutectic????

lilblackstang is right. the 302ho used forged pistons right up until the end of 92, then switched to the hypereutectic units.

as far as forced induction goes: BLOW AWAY ;) lol.
but seriously. the only time the forged units are advantageous is if your engine detonates. and even then there is no guarantee that the pistons will save your engine. throw a power adder on that bad boy and just spend the $ to get a good tune from a reputable shop.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
'87's should have forged pistons. I know the '89-'92s had forged. The '93s on up have the hypers which aren't very power adder friendly and makes the entire rotating assembly weaker....kinda makes ya happy you didn't buy a '93 ;)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
THendricks said:
does the 87 302ho also have a forged crank?
Almost 100% sure it does. I wouldn't worry about the crank at all...the block will let go way before the crank ever will. Best of luck

·
Registered
873 Posts
They have cast cranks... not fordged.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Anybody else have anything to add about forced induction on a stock motor?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I cracked the #4 piston in my 95 on 17lbs. of boost....blew the headgasket too. Anyhow, I had timing at 10 degrees base and had the stock fule pump+in-line from ATI. Bottom line is my combo needed more fuel. I ran 14lbs forever without a problem but I got power hungry and didnt put my money where I should have(fuel system/tuning).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts