Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a pinging problem in my car, i think i picked up some bad gas. Any way i went to a dyno today, i pulled a 187 hp and 276 tq at 3950 rpms. Anyhow at 4000 rpms the car would ping and we would let off the gas. i had 89 octane in it at 10 degrees of timing, i thougt that be good enough, well i put 94 octane in now and seemed to disapper. How sensative is the 94/95 mustang t pinging? I am going to leave the timing at 10 degrees and use 93 octane and change the fuel filter, i also have to look at the plugs and make sure they are ok, any other advice , i also got a code 181 today, i think i picked up some bad gas on the way to the dyno, so any advice would be good, should i lower my timing, thanks guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what i heard the guys here say is that u should continue to bump up timing until u dont hear the pinging. I myself experience this problem around 4K rpms. I haven't done the time yet, until i get my hand on a timing gun. IN the mean time, I use 91 octange with the NOS Octane boost. It helps. Just use 91. Our computer like the higher octane. Always pulls off the gas when you ping. its not good for the engine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Not saying that this is guaranteed but someone wrote a really good post earlier about this subject and what helped him. I tried it and it took care of my pinging as well as made my fan turn on earlier and fixed my sloppy idle.

Try replacing your ACT sensor, your ECT sensor and cleaning your MAF sensor. You'd be amazed at what those three sensors can do when they are messed up.

You can get both sensors and cleaner for the MAF for a total of $35 from Autozone or Pepboys. And to replace the two sensors and clean the MAF takes maybe 45 minutes max. It helped me and I'm soooooooo glad that i did it. It fixed several of my problems.

Good luck!!
Chris

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
act sensor is the same as the iat (intake air temp) sensor? what did you use to clean the wires on the maf? rubbing alc
the guy told me that my kn fipk needs to be taken out of the engine bay and ran to a better, cooler place, i cant disagree with him, he has a 900 hp 5 liter. So i have to reroute that, the sensors, i think i need new o2 sensors also, mine just turned 75 k.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes i believe they are the same thing. I picked up a small spray can of electronics cleaner from the parts store and a tamper proof bit (to remove the sensor) to clean the MAF. Replace the ACT, ECT, O2s and clean the MAF and I can almost guarantee you will nail the pinging issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the pinging problem for years, couldn't pinpoint the problem until recently when my "check engine" light came on, and Ford wanted to charge me over $400 to change my MAF, and a some people told me to just clean the MAF myself

I got CRC Quick Dry Electronics cleaner and it worked like magic, no more pinging

hopefully this'll solve your problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will vouch for the sensors. I replaced them last year, and it got rid of alot of problems including the pinging. Feels like I gained another 200 HP replacing those damn little sensors. <grin>

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok sound like a plan guys, thanks for all the help i get to these issues this weekend. anything else i should look for?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If its a recurring ping that happens regardless of type or brand of gas and it happened all of a sudden without changing anything, then those three sensors should do the trick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mahstang said:
Not saying that this is guaranteed but someone wrote a really good post earlier about this subject and what helped him. I tried it and it took care of my pinging as well as made my fan turn on earlier and fixed my sloppy idle.

Try replacing your ACT sensor, your ECT sensor and cleaning your MAF sensor. You'd be amazed at what those three sensors can do when they are messed up.

You can get both sensors and cleaner for the MAF for a total of $35 from Autozone or Pepboys. And to replace the two sensors and clean the MAF takes maybe 45 minutes max. It helped me and I'm soooooooo glad that i did it. It fixed several of my problems.

Good luck!!
Chris
What does ACT & ECT stand for?

·
Registered
508 Posts
ACT: Air Charge Temperature sensor
ECT: Electronic Coolant Temperature sensor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts