Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 97 cobra, due to the cold air, i think, i was seing 11 pounds of boost, whereas i normally only see 8 pounds most on a regular day.

My car started to ping some in the high rpms so i had to let out. I have 24# injectors and an fmu in there, so im thinking the fuel system just isnt set up for 11 pounds of boost. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If it doesn't normally ping, then yep, I would venture to say that the added boost is definately causing the problem.

What sort of gas are you running? And do you have the BTM?

Just throw some better fuel in there, and maybe retard the timing a little. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using 93 octane. Its a 97 cobra with a vortech kit. No other power increasing mods.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So you have an MSD boost retard then? If so, then dial her up a little.

And I think you're fine, 3 more lb's boost in the colder air is your problem. If you're really worried, slap on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and add some more fuel... or maybe get an adjustabe FMU so you can dial in some more fuel up top during full boost.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you guys seen increased boost with cold weather as well?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I see about 13-14 in summer and 15-16 in cold weather.. and have the same problem with the pinging and have to adjust my retard up .. just by seat of the pants it feels about 50rwhp stronger in the winter

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool

·
Registered
676 Posts
The extra boost does not agree well with the existing timing advance. Adding more fuel is not the way to go to stop the pinging. You need to reduce timing (more boost retard) or get an intercooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts