Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car pings on acceleration. Mainly when I am on the highway and I give it some gas around 35 and up mph. What could this be. My car is a carb 83' all stock. Could it be too lean? Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the stock carb run lean? I have the stock carb and it isn't adjustable so I thought that they would have put an adequate carb on the car. Would it be a good idea to change the carb? What kind is good for a stock 5.0 HO 83'.?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
check your fuel system(filter,pump).
have you adjusted the timing?
what octane of gas are you running?
change or rebuild is up to you.600cfm would do good on that motor.just a thought.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Ya, check timing first, make sure the vacuum advance is hooked up and working properly on the distributor. If the plunger piece that goes into the distrib. isn't connected inside the timing will get all out of whack and make it ping. Get a light on it and see what the timing is at idle and as you rev it. Make sure it doesn't go above 32-34 degrees and you should be ok with pump gas 87......but you might want to back it down a little more even to weed out timing as your problem. Once you do that, and if it still pings, rebuild the carb or go find something better like a 600cfm holley vacuum secondary carb thats new or freshly rebuilt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts