Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I’ve been working on swapping in a 302 from a 79 f150 that was originally bolted to a 4 speed manual into my 81 mustang. I also picked up a 68 c4 that’s been rebuilt, and bought the 157 tooth flexplate along with a 24 spline torque converter from Hughes. But when I went to put it all together for a test fit after removing the pilot bearing from the crank, it wouldn’t seat all the way. I’m wondering if there’s something I can do to make it fit or if there’s different size pilots in these Windsor’s, and what other converter I might need? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you thought the converter is not fully engaged?
I haven’t yet put it together on the transmission, I just put the converter on the flexplate to test how it would mount, but the nose of the converter seems to be bottoming out inside the crank pilot, and not seating all the way. There’s a taper down to a smaller hole inside the pilot, and it seems to be hitting on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the flexplate is correct the converter is not
The flexplate is correct, it’s the 157 tooth with a 28 oz. imbalance, so that converter must not be right. Is there different crank pilot sizes on the small block Windsor’s? I’ve read that the converter I got is supposedly able to fit all small block Windsor’s, but they must not all share the same size pilot diameters. Does anyone know of any other sizes they came with other than the 1.375”?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just measured from the end of the crank to the step on the inside on a stock crank and measured approx .800 deep
On my forged 5.0 aftermarket crank it's approx .66 deep

My aftermarket converter fit both no problem, I'd break out the calipers and take some measurements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just measured from the end of the crank to the step on the inside on a stock crank and measured approx .800 deep
On my forged 5.0 aftermarket crank it's approx .66 deep

My aftermarket converter fit both no problem, I'd break out the calipers and take some measurements.
I just went and measured mine with a micrometer, and it measured around the same as well from that step on the inside. The diameter of the opening is around 1.375, so it seems to be the converter nose is too long to fit in the stock crank correctly. I’m gonna call Hughes and see if they can help figure something out. Is there a difference in the depth of the crank pilot in older blocks in the 65-69 302’s compared to the later ones?

·
Registered
21,850 Posts
ford did make small changes to from differing years to the c4 and crank

sounds like you are trying to mix different years, that is where the problem is

did you tell hughes the combo you are using?

·
Registered
762 Posts
ford did make small changes to from differing years to the c4 and crank

sounds like you are trying to mix different years, that is where the problem is

did you tell hughes the combo you are using?
Ford is quite adept at the small changes, no doubt.

A few months ago I put a 91 5.0 into a 67 f100 with an old c6, but I was surprised I didn’t have any issues. Just changed to a 164 tooth flex plate for starter engagement. Didn’t have any issues with the converter sliding into the crank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts