Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I WANT 2 PUT THE 03-04 COBRA WHEELS ON MY 86 COUPE STOCK DO I NEED 2 CHANGE SOMETHING 2 MAKE THEM FIT.
It all depends on which size rim/tire you get. You may need to just remove the quad shocks and roll the fenders...or if you are already 5 lug and looking at the 10.5's you'll need to do a bit more work to get them to fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How you guys getting these to fit?

ALright you guys - Ive seen a number of foxes with 03 cobra wheels on them in 5 lug. My brother just picked up four stock 03 SVT Cobra wheels to put on his fox. 1990 GT has rear five lug ranger axles, and 5 lug front rotor only swap. Stock control arms, stock spindles and stock caliipers. Suspension is Koni sport adjustable struts with koni 1" lowering springs and Max Mtrsprts CC plates.

Our problem is that the stock cobra wheels will not fit over the hub and mount flush on the rotor face - it is being held about 3/16 off the face before it will sit flush. Even if it did sit flush, the backside of the rim is about 1/8' from contacting the strut body. And third, the rim makes the car look like a tijuana taxicab, as it sticks out so far past the fender lip. Does it pull in a significant amount when on the ground with a tire mounted?

Did you guys have these problems when mounting the stock SVT 5 lug wheels on your foxes? What spindles/rotors are you using to get them to fit?

Not trying to hijack, but all these pics look like wheels fit so well on your cars and its killing my brother and I to think we arent going to get them to fit on his car. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

·
Registered
118 Posts
1990blk5.0: I just picked up a roller with the same setup up front, It seems to be a problem with the rotor hat. There seems to be a small raised bump keeping my 04 Chrome cobra wheels from sitting flush with the rotor. Fortunately for me that wont be a problem for long, as im going 04 cobra brakes all the way around, and with that, it should sit flush against a 13" rotor. So im guessing its just a problem with the cheap 5 lug front rotors.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
1990blk5.0 read the sticky in the general tech forum about all the 5 lug swap options. you will find your answers in there

·
Registered
98 Posts
And puts 4x4 springs on it
Well smartguy, there are two reasons that my car sits the way it does;

- I`m really not a huge fan of the slammed look
- The car has IRS out of a Cobra, and the wider rear track limits how low you can go without tire rub, I have rolled the fenders since that pic was taken to gain a bit more room in there. I`ll take the higher ride height and much nicer ride-handling anyday, over a car that jars the guts out of you over every expansion joint in the road.

I`ve had lowered cars before, and I don`t care what brand of spring you use, they always ride way harsher after...takes too much of the enjoyment out of cruising for my liking.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts

Bold is the stuff I would change or ####ed up.

Front:

-94-04 13" cobra disc brakes
-94/95 spindles
-Stock control arms w/poly bushings and 94/95 napa brand ball joints I would like to have a control arm that the wheel doesn't rub.
-MM C/C plates
-MM solid steering shaft
-Billstein HD struts
-H&R sport lowering springs
-17"X9" FRPP 03/04 machined Cobras 6.125 BS I am not crazy about a 17" x 9" with a stock control arm.
-245/45/17 Firestone wide oval tires This was the wrong tire width for a 17" width. It looks stupid. An 8" rim would work so much better with the stock control arm.
-Poly Sway bars bushings/end links
You can see I am not happy the front wheel and tire combo and the stock control arms. I have 3 rack limiters per side to stop the wheel from rubbing the control arm.

Rear
-MM ED LCA’s
-FRPP UCA’s with new axle side bushings
-Sway bars bushings/end links
-94-04 11.65" cobra disc brakes
-Billstein HD shocks
-H&R sport lowering springs
-275/40/17 Firestone wide oval tires
-17"X9" FRPP 6,125" BS 03/04 machined Cobras

The rear tire would not fit even with the quads flipped. I hope I don't have wheel hop.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts