Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a supercharger with a air to water intercooler I know of a way to improve performance and make the performance more consistant. I have a allen engine supercharger system and it has about 3/4 of a gallon of coolant capacity. I have seen other systems have more but it is usualy limited to no more than 2 gallons maxium. Part of the problem is that when you start getting under boost is that it quickly heat soaks the limited amount of intercooler coolant. I was noticing a substanial increase in act on the back half of the 1/4 mile. If I had more coolant capacity it would take longer to heat soak the entire amount. The down side is that it also takes longer to dispate the heat but that is usualy not a problem becuse of of the amount of time spent on boost compared to cruising or waiting in the stageing lane espicaly if you have fans on your intercooler. I decided to install a much larger intercooler coolant resivor in the trunk. Part of the problem is that all the fuel cells that I could find had a sump in them and would not be practicle to install flat in the trunk. I finaly found a 4 gallon allumnim fuel cell with out a sump made by rci and sold trought summit racing equipment. It was only 110.00 for the tank.

I did remove the foam from the tank and am having several other modifications done to it inorder to make it more usefull. The tank comes with 4 AN8 fittings 1 vent, 1 return, and 2 supply. I plug one vent and one supply and had the other fittings cut off and
AN12 fittings installed. I also had the lid removed and a soild piece of allumnim helearked IE welded in because I did not want no leaks since the system is pressurised. The reason why I am using an12 size is because of the length of hoses and bends. It is highly recomended that a aditional coolant pump be installed. It is prefered to use a lightning intercoolant pump because it accepts 3/4 heater hose an12 and can pump 17 gpm. The pump is 135.00 in the frpp cattlog. Here are some pictures of the tank before modifications I will havbe it back on tuesday with updated pictures. Just let me know what you think.

:evil: :evil:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I love the ingenuity and think it's a great idea. Will you have some type of screen over the outlet to prevent ice from getting through to the pump? Is AN12 line really required?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seperate cooling tank from johnny lightning performance is a totaly self contained unit. The ice and water souloution will never mix with the coolant from the system. The cooling tank that is going to be extra from my resivor is a sealed system with coiled tubes in a insulated box imagine a refrigerator in reverse it puts cold into the metal coils which takes heat out of the intercooler coolat and then it passes int the resivor or intercooler. AN12 lines are nessary to pass the large volume of intercooler coolant to the resivor. an 8 are not enough and if I am going to have to spend the money anyway I might as well do it right.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great idea, although I can't say I was happy with my summit/rci fuel cell. Thing has leaked, had to pump all the fuel back out and take it out, and now I have to get a seam welded where I think the leak is coming from. It's cheaper for me to have it repaired then ship it back to them. Sorry had to vent my frustration with RCI's quality control. It wouldn't take long to do a leak test. Great idea nonetheless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the welds on the rci tank looked great like a row of nickles layed on there side stacked.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The greatest beads in the world doesn't mean its not goona leak. I'm not saying everyone will, hell everyone makes mistakes, there are bound to be a few bad apples. Just giving my personal experience.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
pump

I have not heard good things about jabco pumps. The pumps that you listed only pump a maxium of 6.5 gallons per minute the factory lightning pump pumps 17 gallons per minute. :barf: :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts