Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is going in next Wednesday for the PI Cams. I'm just wondering what else I may need. I was told to get new bolts? Not sure what they were referring to. Should I buy some Felpro gaskets for the Valve covers and timing cover? Is there anything else that is an easy upgrade since the top of the head will be showing for the install?

Last question, will they re-use my stock, 98 cam sprockets because one of the cams has a bad one that needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The bolts being refered to are the cam/sprocket bolts. Forget the actual size of the new bolts you will need. If your new cams didn't come with new sprockets then you will using your existing ones. You may be able to reuse the old gaskets but I put new ones in when I changed my cams ('98 mustang).

Someone told me that 80,000 miles is about half life for the springs, timing chain, tensioner, chain guides, ... Your may or may not want to change those as well.

Clayton

·
Registered
64 Posts
You will need a new Crank bolt, do not reuse the original one. The crank bolt is a torque to yield, which means the head will twist of if you use it too many times or over tighten it. Get a new one to be safe.

I installed PI cams in my 98 back in December, so if you have more questions I can probably remember what I did! :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Í reused my valve cover gaskets, but changed the timing cover gaskets.. most people go this route. Are you getting it done in a shop? How much are they chargin?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its getting done at Coastal Dyno in Tampa. I have a nasty noise coming from the crank pully. It looks like it wobbles and is off balance. I'm going to go to Ford tomorrow to pick up gaskets (valve/cam cover, and timing cover), Cam Sprocket bolts, and a new crank pully bolt. Do you think I will solve any problems and will I be experiencing any problems with the computer adjusting with the new cams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your computer will not have any problems, just make sure the battery is disconnected for 30 minutes or so before you crank it up with the new cams.

Not sure about fixing the crank pulley noise. If it looks like it wobbles, then you might want to get a new one since it is a harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Go ahead and get some Steeda U/D pulleys while your at it. give you 5-10 rwhp.

Josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts