Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a PI 2800 Converter yesterday. Testing the car tonight and 2 strange things going on. 1. Before install car would shift at about 6 to 62K (via chip rev limit set at 6400) now when if left in drive it will sometimes shift at 52 to 54 and at others will shift into second RIGHT AWAY?? Could this be due to the converter letting the engine rev so fast? Does anyone know if shift points are set up by MPH or RPM? 2. If I try to kick it from a roll of 20mph or less it will shift to first and proceed to hit rev limiter every time but shifts at 52 to 54 if I go from a stop. Will be taking it to True Blue on Wednesday for tune and subs so hope they can adjust it for this and lock up as well. Any input would be great!

·
Registered
205 Posts
thats strange , but understandable

I have a 2800 stal conveter as well, and the little problems i'm having, that i didn't experience before are these:

car shift ever time at 6K rpm when i hit it, but shifts normal below 6K every other time

i have some kind of lag when i gas it, it shift into a lower gear, then shifts to the next and there is a sort of lag before the converter trq's up and starts flying towards my redline mark.

for people that don't understand much about trq converters: when u put a higher stal on it takes a while to build up before it starts kiking in, unless u power bake it first to build rpm. I've noticed that when i punch it from a dead stop it has a mili-second pause before it takes off, wheras with the stock converter the stal was set lower so it kiked in right away

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it is going to be all in the tune. Did you disconnect your battery for a while. I have a PI converter but I got gears an hour before the converter so my shift timing was way off from the gears.

After the converter I mostly noticed a lower idle and very little engine braking. I was very lucky and had Jerry W. tune my car and it drives like stock if your driving civil. The sweet part is if you plant it from a stop or slow roll it will smoke the tires all through first and when it shifts to second the rpm's drop just enough for it to grab and go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts