Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the boards after recently purchasing my friend's '88 LX 5.0 hatchback, 5-speed. I've done tons of work on Chevy 305s, 350s, LT1s and LS1s (little on LS6 :evil: ). I know how to build smog-legal performance in these cars, but don't have a clue as to how to do it in a 302.

I would like to build a streetable 5.0 that passes smog, but I'm totally inundated with different heads, intakes, exhaust, etc. As far as suspension goes, I can cover that, but my main concern is the engine. I would like to build it up, with the possible eventuality of supercharging, so I would like to build it for now using parts that will be compatible, or very usable with a blower. I would like to put parts on it now to boost performance, but would probably be rebuilding it before I do (if i decide to) put a supercharger on it, but that won't be for another year or two anyway, if at all.

From just doing the looking around I have done, I have decided on the following, but PLEASE give suggestions!

GT-40P heads (possibly 1.7 rockers)
Stock cam
Performer 5.0 intake
BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties
BBK 70 mm TB&EGR
Tremec TKO 5-speed
Centerforce DF clutch
Ford 9" w/ 3.73

as far as the h-pipe and back, i haven't decided on the exhaust, but that is a rough guesstimate as to what I would like to do.

Suggestions? (I'm sure there are ;) )

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sucks how you have to be careful what you modify here in CA doesn't it? I don't know if BBK's EGR is functional or if it is just a spacer. If it is just a spacer then you'll probably get nailed on visual and or get nailed on NOx. Edelbrock makes a couple of 50 state legel cylinder heads and I know you can use GT-40 and Cobra intakes as well. Dunno if they outflow performer 5.0s or not but FWIW. As for the exhaust, I'd say whatever you do keep a stock H pipe handy incase you need it. Some nazi smog checkers will bust you for having aftermarket pipes with high flow cats. Others will let you go if you pass the sniffer. I've even heard stories of people being failed for not having the stock cat back but i think those are just urban legends. Checkout www.CaliforniaFords.com too. There are plenty of people there more knowledgeable then me about what too do.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are the gt-40 heads not smog legal?

i was also considering simply using edelbrock intake AND heads since those are 50-stat smog legal - prolly gonna go with MAC performance exhaust because they are right in town (temecula!)and i think my friend still has a hookup there, not sure tho

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Running an aluminum head is very beneficial for supercharging, especially since you are stuck with 91 octane gas for the street. IMHO, the TFS twisted wedge is the head of choice for most stock shortblock setups......they flow great out of the box, are on the low end of the price range, and can be found on the used market very easily. The p heads are ok, but headers are an important consideration. Running an aluminum head is going to be very beneficial with the supercharger. As far as passing a smog goes, there are many ways to do it. The camshaft is the most important thing to get you to pass, but the thing that will make the deal is if you have cats or not. Without cats its very hard, with cats you can pass almost anything......and if it doesn't with you normal tune, you can pull the #5 injector, drop timing down really low, and if that doesn't work run mostly alchohol in your gas tank for the test and you will for sure pass.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, great info there, thanks a lot! That was one of my reasons for keeping the stock cam, other than the hassle involved :) was for smog. I will pretty much have to run cats, because if not, it will just be too loud and they will prolly check.

Kinda sucks cuz my friend with an '98 T/A has an SLP Loudmouth and gets away with just a resonator.

How much do you think you could get the heads for (as you own your own shop)? I see a lot of people running the TFS heads, will these still work with the stock pistons (the GT-40 heads don't apparently) and will teh TFS heads keep consistent compression?

BTW, have you ever used or know of anyone useing AFR heads? These are pretty popular with the GM crowd, thought i'd ask around here also

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Duffman,

Check email, sent you one 7/18. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts