Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without any of the BS, or people joking around, I need to know what parts I need to do a 5 lug setup on my 1988 Mustang LX. I have heard before that you use two passenger side axles from a Ranger, along with some other parts, and I need to know what else I need. What car should I get the backing plates, spindles, calipers, and rear rotors off of? Lincoln Mark VII? For the front, what kind of car do I get the parts from? I work in a junkyard and I need to know, I get 50 percent off, so this could be a n affordable swap for me. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it possible to swap in the IRS rear end from the Thunderbird Super Coupe into a Fox chassis. Someone let me know, any help you all can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
First off what rims are you running? You need to know that for the front swap.

Out back, all you need are two passenger side axles from a ranger with a 7.5" rear and two drums (from either side). That's all.

Up front, all you need are two Mark VIII rotors. That's it. No spindles, calipers or anything. If you want to do a front brake upgrade, the 73mm calipers from a Mark VII will bolt on also, but you need to put a SVO Master Cylinder in also. But you can do that later.

But you can only run certain rims with that swap, so you need to decide first otherwise you will go to bolt the rims on and find they do not clear the hub in the front

If you want rear disks, you have several choices.

give Matt's page a read

http://mjbobbitt.home.attbi.com/index.html

·
15,477 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mustang5L5 said:
First off what rims are you running? You need to know that for the front swap.

Out back, all you need are two passenger side axles from a ranger with a 7.5" rear and two drums (from either side). That's all.

Up front, all you need are two Mark VIII rotors. That's it. No spindles, calipers or anything. If you want to do a front brake upgrade, the 73mm calipers from a Mark VII will bolt on also, but you need to put a SVO Master Cylinder in also. But you can do that later.

But you can only run certain rims with that swap, so you need to decide first otherwise you will go to bolt the rims on and find they do not clear the hub in the front

If you want rear disks, you have several choices.

give Matt's page a read

http://mjbobbitt.home.attbi.com/index.html
I want to run Bullitt wheels (standard new GT wheel)...will the mark VIII rotors work?

with my current brake set-up........stock 93 brakes

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you want Bullitts you have to go with new spindles up front,88 GT with Bullitts I used the spindles from a 95 to keep the stock track, then you have to change the brakes (the brake system was sub-par anyway) to fit the new spindles. It's kind of a pain to gather all the parts but when your done it is well worth the hassle since you can now use virtually any wheel you want and you get a lot better braking system out of the deal. This is rather short but you get the idea...mark VII rotors won't work for Bullitts! Out back the ranger axles work with these rims. Basicly it isn't an easy answer, as MUSTANG5L5 said, Matts brake page has all the answers you need but I still had to ask questions, feel free to email me if you need more clarification on anything

Use PM feature when offering parts for sale. Do not post parts for sale in tech threads.

·
Registered
333 Posts
butchstang said:
If you want Bullitts you have to go with new spindles up front,88 GT with Bullitts I used the spindles from a 95 to keep the stock track, then you have to change the brakes (the brake system was sub-par anyway) to fit the new spindles. It's kind of a pain to gather all the parts but when your done it is well worth the hassle since you can now use virtually any wheel you want and you get a lot better braking system out of the deal. This is rather short but you get the idea...mark VII rotors won't work for Bullitts! Out back the ranger axles work with these rims (I have some ranger Axles for sale Butchstang ) Basicly it isn't an easy answer, as MUSTANG5L5 said, Matts brake page has all the answers you need but I still had to ask questions, feel free to email me if you need more clarification on anything
Hey thanks!

I was hoping that they fit on the mark7 rorotes because its cheap to do........

It looks as though its going to cost 13-1500$ for the parts and wheels and tires.....cant afford that now.....(poor college student)

..but sometime in the future i will do the swap...

thanks again
-Justin

·
Registered
186 Posts
mill the rotor snout down and they will work. The snout is too big to fit the rim center hole.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
SN95 brake install on a fox

Step by step breakdown of parts and installation, front to back, under hood and all.

I also just completed GT - Cobra brake upgrade on the same car.

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts