Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting my RR 88 Mustang to carb, and will be running the Parker with a Holley DP. Does anybody know what sort of hood clearance I'll need before I buy a hood with TOO SMALL a cowl? Will a 2" cowl work, or do I need to go bigger? No chance the stocker will clear? I'm sure a 4" will work, but would prefer smaller if it will fit.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
im running a weiand stelth with a 1/2" spacer and its barely, just barely clearing stock hood. no wya funnel web will clear stock. things like a foot tall isnt it?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I ran a parker funnel web with a 4 inch cowl and couldn't fit a 3" x 14" air cleaner on it... It was only 3/4" shorter then the tunnel ram I had on it before!! They are tall!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Says it's 7.25" tall:
The Funnel Web 302 measures 7.25" tall from base to carb pad. Ports are 1.90" x 1.08" at the gasket flange and the manifold contains enough material to open ports to 2.10" x 1.25". Use Fel-Pro intake gasket #1250 or #1262

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm running one on my 86. I put Crites restoration's Boss 429 scoop on there. I don't care for the cowl hoods. I'm able to get a 2 in airclener on it. I could probably get a 3 in on it if I ran a drop base aircleaner. The crites scoop is 4in high

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
funnelweb hood clearance

I had to use a 5" cowel with a low profile air cleaner(15"x10"x3" oval). but that's with a 1" spacer under the carb. it's a tall mother. u shuld be able to clear with a 4".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to use a 5" cowel with a low profile air cleaner(15"x10"x3" oval). but that's with a 1" spacer under the carb. it's a tall mother. u shuld be able to clear with a 4".
Jeebus! That's HUGE for a roadrace car. What am I missing? I measured the stock FI intake and got somewhere around 10+" using the Mark 1 Eyeball, so 7.5" + 4" = 11.5 add 3" for a filter = 14.5", and there was already some space under the stock hood. Thought 4 would be tonnes of space, and a 3" would be fine...
K&N have drop filters that add <2" or slightly more. I suck at math I guess...
KNN-61-4500
KNN-66-3040

1 - 8 of 8 Posts