Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be getting an electric fan but i know i need a 3g alternator first, and a lot of people i see w/ them got them from pa-performance. what size should i get? is there any cutting or something involved when replacing the stock one?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just go to AutoZone and get one for a 94 or 95 Mustang GT. Then return the 2g as a core. Then do a search for how to install it. It is easy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Or get one out of a junkyard. I think pa performance and even parts stores will charge you >$200 for one, but I got mine (130 amp) off a 96 3.8L mustang with 77k miles for <$100. I have more confidence in a factory Ford unit with 77k miles than I do in a parts store unit that was very likely rebuilt, and probably with a POS voltage regulator. Like Craig said, the installation is easy. You just have to do a little rewiring and I had to grind a small amount off my mounting bracket.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think AutoZone is $130 and you get $30 for the core. It ends up being just over $100 after taxes and crap. I think you may be able to get a 3G cheaper at Car Quest. The ones from AutoZone have a lifetime warranty. If it ever goes bad, it takes a few minutes to undue a few bolts and replace with a new one. The pa-performance ones are nice and all but I can't see paying the money for one. My reman has been fine for well over a year now.

PS- It costs ~$40 or so in supplies beyond the alternator if you upgrade to a 4gauge wire. Which I recommend. A fuse will run you a few more dollars too.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I bought the Pa-Performance 130amp alternator for $199 and it was some of the best money I've spent on my car.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what size do u guys suggest then? 95? 130?

and ive gone to the junkyard before and they never had 94+ stangs there until recently, and when i looked at the engine, one of the only things missing was the alternator, so they go quick. plus, i might just want to buy a new one just because it looks good and u get a warranty.

and do the 3g's fit right where the stock one was? or do u have to trim and cut some to get it to fit?

and u said i could end up getting about $30 for the core, does that mean i can sell the old one to them? i never knew about this before.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Get one out of a 3.0L OHV Taurus, 93-00 models. Some are 110A, most should be 130A, check to be sure.

The Taurus one fits right in.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do they look the same? are they both 3g alternators just differnt cars?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Just get a 3g from a 94-95 GTCobra. I think the 96+ have a different braket so it would require more fabrication to install.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Get this months 5.0 and super Fords it has a tech article on how to install the 3G, yes you have to cut wires, and no it's not hard. It's pretty simple but you may need to grind some on your alternator bracket but NOT A LOT, any file will work but a die grinder would be easier. Fiveoh I'm with you good money spent on good product! Oh yeah the instructions that come with it are very good also. If you plan putting in a powerful stereo and an electric fan, ignition, etc. go 130 but your going to have to go with larger wire and they will tell you that

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, i might just end up buying it from them. plus 150 amp :) thats better than the regular 3g

·
Registered
734 Posts
They also have a 200 amp but i think itis like 179.00. I will say this the only thing that kinda sucks is that they charge like 25.00 shipping, insurance, and packaging fees. But i choose that one over the PA unit still cheaper they give you instructions and even tell you were to grind down the bracket at, good people.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Just get a PaPeformance...they have a good warranty and customer service...It is a little more money but I think its worth it...

When you buy an alternator from paperformance and their 4g wire upgrade...you get everything you need..(4g wire, fuse, bolts..etc..) with the kit and colored and very detailed instructions...I'm happy with my purchase...:)

93 LX 5.0

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I had the PA Performance set up on my 86 GT that Kenny H now has and it was money well spent. Their units are brand new, not remanufacturerd. I had it for over 2 years with no problems. Before that I had first a Ford reman unit which crapped out after 2 months. Then I had a Pep Boys unit which ended up on another Mustang I had. The PA Performance kit is really good and reliable.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the pa is good, but this one is what, $70-80 cheaper and it comes 150 amp instead of 130. the one on ebay also has a warranty, and everything u need to install it

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Had the remanufactured one from Autozone in my car for nearly 4 years with zero problems before I sold the engine. If it ever craps on itself, take it for a warranty replacement and it has now paid for itself.

Get the rebop alternator from Vatozone for $150, redo the wiring according to my diagrams, add another 4ga cable from alternator to solenoid and, if you want, a fuse as well, and save around $40 over the PA setup for EXACTLY the same thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Warranty- definition- This product was rebuilt with cheap imported parts and low cost unskilled labor. Since we charge you too much for it in the first place we can afford to replace it untill you get fed up or lose the receipt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts