Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need opinions......What would you do 4v head swap? or P&P your PI heads?? which one is easier, which one make more power, which one is cheaper.......
Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would PnP the 2v heads. A lot of folks are making some serious power with 2v heads. I think more power would come from the 4v heads, but the cost is astronomical compared to the 2v heads. Just my $.01.

Tim

·
Registered
634 Posts
u can make more with a 4v

·
Registered
63 Posts
hellbound911 said:
whats the cost and needed parts for swapping a 4v onto a 2v?
cost: lots
parts: heads complete
valve covers
intake
throttle body
timing cover
throttle cable
timing chains
tensioners
fan belt idlers
exhaust

that's for starter's anyway...

·
Registered
160 Posts
well a 4v motor is about 7-10k.wich is cheaper than swapin the heads,crank,pistons,intake(upr and lwr),cpu,wire harness,and anything else i missed. me and every other gt owner has thought about this.either buy the motor complete,or just buy a cobra.yeah.i can't afford one either.just pnp your heads,and get some nice cams.with those two things you can put down about 45 or so h/p at the wheels.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
so pretty much your better off getting a 4v engine to start with and swap it in

·
Registered
978 Posts
1. Depends on your long term goals.
2. Depends how much you plan to spend.
3. Depends on who you talk to about how difficult the swap is.

You can find used cobra motors, under 2500. Personally, I was going to do the 4v swap, but for now looks like its going to be PI heads on a Mark 8 short block. Lighter and higher compression should be fun for a while.

·
Registered
160 Posts
96-2valve said:
1. Depends on your long term goals.
2. Depends how much you plan to spend.
3. Depends on who you talk to about how difficult the swap is.

You can find used cobra motors, under 2500. Personally, I was going to do the 4v swap, but for now looks like its going to be PI heads on a Mark 8 short block. Lighter and higher compression should be fun for a while.
where can you find a 4v used motor at for 2500.i tried looking and couln't find one.also what year 4v woul it be?or is it 96-02.actually 96-98 would be just fine.its still a 302 h/p motor.but where can i get one.thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I didn't say I had a list, I said you can find them. Use the classifieds, ebay, and ask people. Also the Columbus swap meet in Ohio is a couple months away. They are out there, just have to find them.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Best bet, is find a Lincoln motor and add the intake and odds and ends til you decide to build one. You can luck onto those for 500-1000.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
i've found them for 2,000. the 4v lincoln 5.4s have considered the swap. not sure but seems more involved than what i'm wanting now though.

although ultimate performance will be much better with it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
96-2valve said:
I didn't say I had a list, I said you can find them. Use the classifieds, ebay, and ask people. Also the Columbus swap meet in Ohio is a couple months away. They are out there, just have to find them.
i didn't say you had a list either.i just asked where i could find one.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ill stick with 2v.......Aftermarket cams are cheaper too.
Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out www.car-parts.com It is an online wrecking yard clearing house. I did a search for 98 cobra engines and found em from 2500-5K. I bought a com plete Bullitt motor through one of their yards and it was in great shape. You can even get all accessories on some of the motors on there.

Check it out, great place to buy parts. Check with the yard to see if they offer a warranty, most do. The only caveat is that I think they have to ship to a shop to get the best price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts