Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I was just checking out the West Coast Fords write up on the swap. They said to just bend up the front lip of the tunnel or cut 1/2 inch out to make the fit better.

I am honestly not one for ghetto mechanics but I also dont really feel like dealing with all that BS with swapping the tunnels.

Guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes time.

Thanks for the info!!:)
That is so you can get to the front two shifter bolts... the lower shift boot will still not bolt up without fabbing brackets. The t5 tunnel is to seal the hole with the factory boot, its not hard and you don't replace the whole tunnel..

·
Registered
437 Posts
I read all this and what I need to know is....I have a 93 lx with a 5.0 5 speed, i'm using a A3M1 computer, will any 91-93 5 speed o2 harness work fine with it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
844 Posts
HELP!

I'm going to bring this back from the dead in an attempt to fix an on going problem with my car.

First off, here is my cars combo:
1989 4cyl conversion car which was originally a manual
What I believe to be is a 1989 Saleen manual Harness (had the saleen MAF connector on it when I got it, which has since been replaced)
02 harness which was supposed to be from a standard... but now seems like it was from an automatic
A9L computer

Ever since I did the 8cyl conversion my car has always run a little rich (~13:1 N/A & 11:1 when it got a couple turbos) I could never quite figure out why, until i started tuning with some Moates hardware, and found out that the car wasn't recognizing the 02's.

Attached below are a few pictures of the connectors:

After reading the above posts, and several others I'm worried that I've fried my A9L, and that I may have to get a new harness. But I would like to possible re-pin the 02 harness and get this car finally tuned right.

Can anyone help me confirm that I have a manual Engine harness?
Also, Can anyone confirm that I do in fact have an auto 02 harness?

Thanks in advance!
Cal

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I'm going to bring this back from the dead in an attempt to fix an on going problem with my car.

What I believe to be is a 1989 Saleen manual Harness (had the saleen MAF connector on it when I got it, which has since been replaced)
02 harness which was supposed to be from a standard... but now seems like it was from an automatic
A9L computer

Ever since I did the 8cyl conversion my car has always run a little rich (~13:1 N/A & 11:1 when it got a couple turbos) I could never quite figure out why, until i started tuning with some Moates hardware, and found out that the car wasn't recognizing the 02's.

After reading the above posts, and several others I'm worried that I've fried my A9L, and that I may have to get a new harness. But I would like to possible re-pin the 02 harness and get this car finally tuned right.

Thanks in advance!
Cal
I have found that tuning my own car with both chips and now a PMS that it runs so much better without the O2 sensors which effectively puts it into constant open loop. I have spoken with many tuners around the country and with blower and turbos they all have agreed that on occasion that the adaptive strategy will change the tune back. Just a thought. I do know that mine idles much better without the O2's and its A/F is much more consistent across the board.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts

A9L computer

Thanks in advance!
Cal

I forgot to add that the engine harnesses are the same between manual and auto. Its the O2 sensor and transmission harnesses that are different.
The critical one is the O2 sensor harness because of the neutral start circuit wiring variations.

·
Registered
844 Posts
hmmm I havent been able to get mine to idle with an AFR or better than 11:1. I believe alot of this is due to the load tables, and I'm not quite advanced enough in my tuning skills to get these down. So far I've adjusted the injector slopes,breakpoints, cranking pulsewidth,and MAF transfer. the car idles fat, but right around the correct rpm... so I'm lost on how to get it leaner.

Cal

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
hmmm I havent been able to get mine to idle with an AFR or better than 11:1. I believe alot of this is due to the load tables, and I'm not quite advanced enough in my tuning skills to get these down. So far I've adjusted the injector slopes,breakpoints, cranking pulsewidth,and MAF transfer. the car idles fat, but right around the correct rpm... so I'm lost on how to get it leaner.

Cal
You will find most of it in the MAF tables. That is where most of the tweaking is done.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

Thanks in advance!
Cal
The o2 harness you posted matches the AOD haresses that both My 90's had

this is the factory 5 spd version for those years, so you only need to move one pin.

Take the ECU out and crack it open, if you think its fried from the harness. If it is you will see a burnt trace if you follow pin 46. This is the trace that burns out when the harnesses are mis matched.

As for tuning I would look into what gnvair is talking about. I run mild wet n20 set ups where the stock ecu is fine, only tuning I do involves a timing light, an allen key for fuel pressure and nitrous / fuel jets. :eek:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I jumped converted the harness to the manual setup shown above, but the car still runs rich, and I'm getting no 02 sensor feedback at the computer.... The 02 sensors are new, and are receiving power from the harness. I don't have a good enough ohm/volt meter to pick up anything on the return side of the sensor harness, but I;m going to pull the computer out, and see what kind of damage I've done. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I find, and if it's toast I'll post some pictures up.

Cal

·
Registered
844 Posts
I took the computer apart, but pin# 46 seems to be ok, and not burnt.... I'm not really sure what's going on.

here's a pic of a bad one:

And here's a pic of mine, nothing is burnt or visibly broken:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Another Update for the Post... I traced the 02 sensor signal wires back to the ECU harness, and I am getting a reading of ~ .5Volts on both 02s. When I datalog the cars ECU shows a voltage of ~ .0075 Volts... So I guess even though I can't Visibly see anything burnt on the computer, something must be.

Fell free to criticize me, tell me I'm wrong, general guidance, ect...

Thanks,
Cal

·
Registered
844 Posts
UPDATE!!!

The ECU didn't end up working, but after spending a few more hrs diagnosing I found the solution. The ground wire for the ECM had a butt-connector between the harness and the ground. After I found this I decided to give it a quick wiggle test... the ground wire fell out of the connector. After reconnecting the two and making sure everything was secure I fired her up. The car instantly ran better, and when I took my first datalog I saw that the 02s were working great!

41 - 60 of 333 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.