Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a 86 gt that has been sitting for about two years. At first it wouldnt even start so I replaced the starter and got it running however it still overheats while idling and driving. Last time I worked on this car I replaced the thermostat (which was about two years ago) however I just replaced the gasket on it and tested the thermostat to make sure it opened. I also replaced the water pump and yesterday it idled for 35 minutes and went a tad past the middle of the temp gauge and then it seemed to sit there. Today I took the car out and turned around and went back home once the temp gauge was heating past normal however by the time I got home and popped the hood it was steaming in the engine bay and steam and liquid was coming out of the t stat housing (I should have pulled over and let it cool down before coming back home). I used RTV and bought a gasket for the t-stat housing and thought I put it back on right so I dont know why it was leaking from there. I am wondering if it started leaking from the T stat once it got so hot or did that only happen because it got too hot. When I let it idle for about 35 minutes after replacing the T stat and Water pump I didnt notice it leaking so thats why Im suspecting it mightve only leaked from the tstat housing because how hot it got? Should I take the Tstat out again and replace the gasket or see if it leaks from there next time I start it up. Aside from that, I am going to try and replace the fan clutch since it was filled in grease and dirt and Ive read that you can tell if its bad if it leaks oil. Besides that I dont really know what else could be causing it to overheat (maybe a bad heater core).

·
Registered
24,616 Posts
the pipe should explode before the gasket pops

so no, the seal didn't fail cause it was too hot

you need water flow, and airflow to reject the heat

are you missing one or both?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

that’s why I’m. A little confused since it wasn’t leaking from the t stat housing when I let the car idle for about 35 minutes

·
Registered
3,979 Posts

You also need pressure...just not too much. Is the radiator cap okay. Also, how did you test the thermostat.

Could there have been air in the cooling system?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts