Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who has had luck with any of these on a 347 with longtubes. Never used pro chamber how much does it help or hinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
ive got h pipe with mac flowpaths on my 331. sounds mean with long tubes

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Kooks 1 3/4 lt, dr. Gas 3" x-pipe, Mac flow path 3" dumped sounds good especially WOT

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ive got 1 3/4 LTs, 3" X-pipe, and 4X9 3 inch Magnaflows. Has a nice throaty deep idle, very, very quite at cruise ( 2200-2600 rpms ) and loud as heck when I stomp on it. When I changed over to my current exhaust set up, I picked up a little over 4mph in the 1/4.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have my 347 exhaust headers Y-piped into a single exhaust.

I see no advantage to x-pipes, h-pipes, duals etc. over a properly sized single exhaust system.

The single exhaust is nice because it's easy to route, doesn't take up so much under car space etc.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
true, but i prwefer the look of stainless tailpipes under a cobra bumper

·
Registered
965 Posts
X pipes, h pipes and dual exhaust have a huge advantage over a single setup. Look at every high end, high power cars and even race cars. There is a reason they run dual exhaust

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have my 347 exhaust headers Y-piped into a single exhaust.

I see no advantage to x-pipes, h-pipes, duals etc. over a properly sized single exhaust system.

The single exhaust is nice because it's easy to route, doesn't take up so much under car space etc.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
X pipes, h pipes and dual exhaust have a huge advantage over a single setup. Look at every high end, high power cars and even race cars. There is a reason they run dual exhaust
Perhaps I am wrong.

If thats the case then lets hear a good explanation of how the dual, x and h are better than headers with well designed y pipe and properly sized tail pipe.

I think the whole dual exhaust thing is all looks, sound, vanity, ego....nothing to do with performance. I have gone both ways with my cars in the past and never noticed a difference other than cost, weight, ease of installation with the single exhaust winning in each catagory.

We are also talking about NA engines since there was no mention of turbo, sc etc.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Lets see here. First an x pipe with dual exhaust helps with port velocity which helps with exhaust flow. Also to match a properly setup 3" dual exhaust setup you would have to run a full 6" single exhaust from headers back to equal the flow. I would love to see that done lol

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Perhaps I am wrong.

If thats the case then lets hear a good explanation of how the dual, x and h are better than headers with well designed y pipe and properly sized tail pipe.

I think the whole dual exhaust thing is all looks, sound, vanity, ego....nothing to do with performance. I have gone both ways with my cars in the past and never noticed a difference other than cost, weight, ease of installation with the single exhaust winning in each catagory.

We are also talking about NA engines since there was no mention of turbo, sc etc.
Dude, I can see if your comparing a dual 2.25 exhaust to a single 4" in terms of overall area for flow, but its hard enough to run 3" exhaust let alone 4". Dual 3" has a larger area than a single 4, so if your going to do better than a dual 3" go to the diesel shop.

I honestly dont think Ive ever heard anyone preach that before. I guess all those pro racers got it wrong. Maybe I would have picked up some more MPH with a single 5" exhaust??????????

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah. And NASCAR and lemans series racers have it wrong too lol. This is hilarious

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh boy what did I start lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
411 Posts
Does anyone know if x-pipes typically produce less drone than h-pipes?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Does anyone know if x-pipes typically produce less drone than h-pipes?
I think that has more to do with your choice of muffler. My last set up was the typical H-pipe and flowmasters. The drone was pretty bad. I have zero drone with my current exhaust system.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Lol...you wouldn't need to double the size of the pipe...its about volume.
Lets see here. First an x pipe with dual exhaust helps with port velocity which helps with exhaust flow. Also to match a properly setup 3" dual exhaust setup you would have to run a full 6" single exhaust from headers back to equal the flow. I would love to see that done lol

1 - 20 of 83 Posts