Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new battery and was wondering which to go with. I have a mark VIII fan that I use sometimes at the track with the engine off to cool the engine, and I have a pretty big stereo, that I only use though with the car on. The yellow top is a deep cycle battery, and the red is a starter. Which will be better for me?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
in my old Fox-body I had a big stereo and an electric cooling fan, and my car had the red-top Optima in it and I had no problems with my battery.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You will never catch me buying another craptima battery again,, bought one went bad in a year,, great when new but went downhill fast,, bought another same type,, went bad in 6 mos,,

Brother bought a red top also,, went bad after 1 month!

I'm running a huge interstate battery now,, love it to death and a excellent warranty to boot!

Brad M

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
hmm..thats weird because my red-top that I had, I had it in my car 9 mos, then sold my car, then put it in 96 Cobra for another 5 mos and never once had a problem. I had stereo in both of them and that battery took a pounding between the stereo and electric fans. I live out here in Vegas and it's a constant 115 degrees in the summer and it never once failed on me. :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
DropDTop said:
You will never catch me buying another craptima battery again,, bought one went bad in a year,, great when new but went downhill fast,, bought another same type,, went bad in 6 mos,,

Brother bought a red top also,, went bad after 1 month!

I'm running a huge interstate battery now,, love it to death and a excellent warranty to boot!

Brad M
You do know that Optima is made by Interstate, right?

·
Registered
120 Posts
use the red top if you're with a single battery set-up.

a yellow top would be a good accessory battery (such as if it's just driving your stereo and alarm) if you're going to run two. but a red works well as an accessory also.

I've had good luck with Optimas. two reds (see audio in sig) in the '90 GT for over 6 years with no problems. one red installed in an '85 Suburban in 1987 and it was sold last year without ever needing a jump. 14 years in Arizona and the battery was still going strong!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow,, why did I have all the probs with these batteries???

I still dont like the whole sealed cell idea,, reminds me of the old rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries of the past.

Anyway,, I will give it that when it was new it did work great and started the car like never before,, but I can say the same for my Liquid Interstate as well,, and even better battery IMHO.

Brad

·
Registered
120 Posts
DropDTop said:
Wow,, why did I have all the probs with these batteries???

I still dont like the whole sealed cell idea,, reminds me of the old rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries of the past.

Anyway,, I will give it that when it was new it did work great and started the car like never before,, but I can say the same for my Liquid Interstate as well,, and even better battery IMHO.

Brad
Perhaps you had a charging system problem or a regulator burning out?

Or, if you were using the top posts, did you leave the plastic plugs in the side posts to protect them from getting too close to touching the metal part of the hold-down bracket?

BTW, audio folks love the Optimas b/c they can be mounted inside the passenger compartment upside down, sideways, tilted, etc. and your subs can vibrate them w/o worrying about electrolyte splash.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Pepboys the other day and they had two different types of Red tops Optima bateries. They had different cranking powers or something. Which one should I get, or does it matter? One was a little more expensive than the other.

·
Registered
120 Posts
blackstallion said:
I went to Pepboys the other day and they had two different types of Red tops Optima bateries. They had different cranking powers or something. Which one should I get, or does it matter? One was a little more expensive than the other.
You'll notice benefit out of the higher CCA one if you have to start in very cold temps or start repeatedly after short intervals in very hot temps. It is also better if you have lots of items drawing power because the time "reserve" is higher with the higher CCA and therefore your alternator won't have to push so "deep" into a charge cycle.

If you live in a moderate climate, have no underdrive pulley on the alternator, and <200w of amps, the lesser CCA batt will be just fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rating on the batteries those was something like this: 34/70 an 30/80. Those are just numbers I made up cause I don't remeber exactly what they were, but how would I figure out the higher CCA from those?

·
Registered
120 Posts
sounds like group (exterior size) numbers. you'll have to ask the sales rep or check a brochure for the CCA's.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Optima was an independant company. They have been bought and are now manufactured by Johnson Controls (labratories).

I can not fathom why someone would have found a way to destroy so many. Physical abuse (off road) drain and recharge abuse, dead short and recover, and leak and corrosion...'

Ive not found a better battery.

I would say the car has other issues, and if you bought an excide... I garuantee you will be replacing it, as well as dealing with LOTS of corrosion issues.

I deal with lots of battaries, and the CHecker/Shucks/Cragin/ Heat beater Excide batteries are the worst pieces of case swelling, post leaking, plate failing junk Ive ever seen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts