Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys have been following my posts you know Im in the market for a blower. I think I want a roots but options are very limited on those. The Roush kit is WAY too expensive and Im not putting a Saleen blower on a Roush, thats just bad karma.

If I go with Paxton or Vortech I think Ill be good either way. Both have their strong and weak points so being in college I want to do this on a budget, especially since Ill have to put money aside to put in another motor in case something goes wrong.

I know all of you guys really push this Steeda kit. It lists for $4700 on Steeda's website but unless cobra killer can cut me a deal about $1500 less its out of the question, but thanks anyway. :)

So im trying to add up prices for parts to see what would be better to go with. The cheapest complete Vortech kit I found is around $3100. After that I need to get bigger injectors to replace the 30 lbs that come in the kit, a custom tune, and a high pressure 255 pump instead of the regular 255 that comes in the kit (from what Ive read). All in all it seems like Im gonna spend $3800 if I buy a complete kit and go back and get all the right stuff.

The tuner kit does not come with injectors, chip or fuel pump. So:

Tuner kit - $2300
Injectors - $300
Tune - $300
Pump - $100
Total = $3000

It seems to me to be much more cost effective to get the tuner kit and buy seperately everything else I need. Is there anything Im missing? Anyone else do it this way? Did you save money or did it end up costing more in the long run?

Tom

·
Registered
313 Posts
I made my own.

Vortech V2 SQ $2275
90mm Lightning MAF $175
Morpheus power pipe $140
FMS 42# injectors high impedance $275
Inlet Air Temp sensor (lightning one) $27.67
03 cobra fuel pump & tank $634.33
Awsfa-12c plugs $25
RR ultra grip pulley $125
Chip reburned $100
----------
Total $3777 plus shipping

·
Registered
193 Posts
pwrhungry said:
I made my own.

Vortech V2 SQ $2275
90mm Lightning MAF $175
Morpheus power pipe $140
FMS 42# injectors high impedance $275
Inlet Air Temp sensor (lightning one) $27.67
03 cobra fuel pump & tank $634.33
Awsfa-12c plugs $25
RR ultra grip pulley $125
Chip reburned $100
----------
Total $3777 plus shipping
what kind of # are you puttin down with this setup?
5 speed or 4R70W?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Still gotta buy the maf, plugs, and power pipe. Wont get it all together, installed, and dynoed until the beginning of next month. Will post numbers when this happens.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can get the complete Steeda kit with everything you need from Tim (CobraKiller) at a much reduced price vs direct Steeda. The manufacturer sells to the general public at list price. They sell to distributors at wholesale. The distributor adds a little mark-up and sells to the end user significantly below list. Check out Tim's web site at www.modularfordpowerhouse.com

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've always thought it was cheaper to piece it together myself. Thats the way I will be doing it also. Although, I'll probably look for stuff used as well. I know Cobrakiller is a great guy and his ability is top notch, I just dont wanna spend the 4k his kit costs, when I would still want 42lb injectors. (yes i know they still get good numbers from 30s.

Anyways, i like pwrhungrys list.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does anyone know where the cheapest tuner kit is? I know superchargersonline.com and Muscle Motors have them and they are both 2499. Does anyone offer free shipping?

Tom

·
Registered
729 Posts
97TomGT said:
So does anyone know where the cheapest tuner kit is? I know superchargersonline.com and Muscle Motors have them and they are both 2499. Does anyone offer free shipping?

Tom
I got my Novi1000 from Muscle Motors. The price was decent but the customer service was terrible. I was left feeling that the money I saved would have been well spent somewhere else with good service. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I believe Muscle Motors is offering free shipping right now. I ordered mine last Wed and should be getting it today or Monday. I did get free shipping. Usually MMotors and superchargers online run free shipping right after each other, so if M Motors does not, keep an eye out for Superchargers online to run it. Muscle motors is very pleasurable to deal with, and I think the guys at chargers online are too, all a matter of opinion. muscle Motors did, however, cut me a very good deal on the polished head unit. I will buy from them again. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may still buy a used one if someone I personally know happens to get rid of theirs. IMO blowers are way too costly to be buying off of people you dont know with an unknown history.

Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
97TomGT said:
I may still buy a used one if someone I personally know happens to get rid of theirs. IMO blowers are way too costly to be buying off of people you dont know with an unknown history.

Tom
Yeah im kind of having the same debate with myself about the used vs. new.

dumb question: so basically a "tuner kit" is the head unit and all the misc. parts needed to install it and nothing else, right?
To me, a tuner kit seems like a good option as a lot of retailers/sellers kits may not always have the specific parts a person wants.
For example you want 42lb'ers instead of 30's or the 03 Cobra tank/pump instead of walboro 255, etc.
That is, unless you find the right kit with what you want for the right price....:D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
97TomGT said:

Tom
For what it's worth, I would stay clear of used blowers unless it's a drop dead unbeatable deal. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find all of the little odds and ends that you didn't get with the used blower. And most likely you will spend close to the same if not more on the used one. It seems that there is always something missing, or something wrong. Not to mention no warranty. :(
Unless you know the person and/or the history of the blower, you can't go wrong with a tuner kit if you want to save loot, or have a smaller chunk up front. If you put it this way it makes alot more sence: If you are pondering used because you are tired of waiting for the rest of the loot you need to buy brand new, take a look at the tuner kits that are $2400-2700. It's alot less up front and it will quell your desire to have a blower. Now as you get the cash buy the rest of the studd you need. It's alot easier to save a couple hundred bucks for a set of injectors, than a couple of thousand for a complete blower kit.

Just my .02$ :cool:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
montmand said:
Yeah im kind of having the same debate with myself about the used vs. new.

dumb question: so basically a "tuner kit" is the head unit and all the misc. parts needed to install it and nothing else, right?
To me, a tuner kit seems like a good option as a lot of retailers/sellers kits may not always have the specific parts a person wants.
For example you want 42lb'ers instead of 30's or the 03 Cobra tank/pump instead of walboro 255, etc.
That is, unless you find the right kit with what you want for the right price....:D
That is the exact idea behind the tuner kit. Most people, when they buy blower kits, replace the pump, and injectors with better units anyway. And almost everyone will tell you that a Dyno tune can not be beat by any mail order or factory supplied chip.
So by offering the tuner kit, you don't have to pay for all the stuff you are not going to use anyway.
You will get everything that comes in a normal kit minus the injectors, pump, and chip.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lotsaspray said:
It's alot less up front and it will quell your desire to have a blower. Now as you get the cash buy the rest of the studd you need. It's alot easier to save a couple hundred bucks for a set of injectors, than a couple of thousand for a complete blower kit.

Just my .02$ :cool:
That basically hits the nail on the head for me. I can save a few hundred easy, but getting the few thousand is a different story. I dont know where my play money goes! Wait a minute, yes I do, strippers and beer. :)

Right now Im getting other things to put on the car to get ready for the blower such as a new clutch, etc. Ill probably end up getting long tubes, catted H, etc.

As for injectors, do I really need 42lb? How about a 36 or 38?

Tom

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you are going to run any more than 6 psi of boost I would highly recommend the 42's. If you buy 36's or 38's now, most likely you will replace them with 42's in the future anyway. With that I would say just go 42's now and save yourself the headache.
Also, you can get a lot of the parts you will need right here in the classafieds, or over on E-bay.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your right. Might as well do it right the first time. So I guess that means Ill also need a Lmaf, bigger throttle body and a power pipe. :)

How do you like that king cobra clutch with the procharger?

Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
97TomGT said:
If you guys have been following my posts you know Im in the market for a blower. I think I want a roots but options are very limited on those. The Roush kit is WAY too expensive and Im not putting a Saleen blower on a Roush, thats just bad karma.
Not to steal your thread or your centrifugal plans...

I was just wondering if you had considered the AED kit?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I considered it. Too much $

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I like the King Cobra clutch. Second car I had it on and I will get another if this one goes. I drive my car as much as I can (when it's nice out) and I like the feel of that clutch on the street.
If your looking for all out track and bite like a shark I would go Spec, but I only get to the track maybe once a month if that.
This clutch has goos bite but more improtantly for me, it's not killer in traffic. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts