Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I'm poor. I have a 1986 5.0. It came with flowmasters and a hurt engine. I'm rebuilding the engine, but have some parts I need help with. My heads are 1970 351W that have been very mildly ported...paid nothing for them. I also was given an E303 cam, Bassani shorty headers, and a victor Jr intake. Should I go carb or keep the stock intake with injectors?? I plan on changing the gears to 373's, but what other mods do you feel I should pursue?? I am seriously hurting for money right now, but I could maybe put $500 a year towards this puppy. What mods should I concentrate on??? In what order?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replys. Deane Boothe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The heads should be a good starting point for someone with a tight budget. As for the efi, i would say go carb for power, as modding an efi might be a little out of your budget. Go with the efi if your primary goal is streetability without tuning a whole lot.

Personally, i prefer a carb setup, yes it can be just as streetable, it just takes a little tuning to get it there. Since you were given a carb intake, you might want to go carb and sell your fi stuff to offset some of the costs.

You might want to check clearance with the e cam. The 86' engines came with flattop pistons w/ no reliefs for valves. you could either notch the pistons (might be a little out of range for your budget) or go with a stock cam for now.

the 3.73's will be good for your setup.

IMHO, after you get your engine running, concentrate on the suspension. What are your goals? Drag racing, corner carving, street driving? Optimize your suspension to take advantage of what you've got. There are a lot of fast cars gettin whooped because the lower hp car spent more of his $$$ on a decent suspension. Remember you have to get what power you have to the ground before you make any more.

Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy working on and driving your ride. Dont get frustrated that your car, dosent look as good, or is as fast as so and so's. Every show stopping 800+ hp car once started out as someones street stomper.

Hope i set you in the right direction.

Take care, Joe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe, thanks for the input! Yeah, I about had a heart attack when I saw the cost of the EFI intakes...uppers and lowers. I figure I could scrounge a decent carb, needing a rebuild, for $50 or so, and a cheap dist and box for about the same $. I know my ride won't look...or run the best...but at least I'll build it myself...on the cheap! Thanks again. dino

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I's stick with the stock injection and port the lower intake. If you can do it yourself go to
www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine

and find my basic porting guide. Follow the link in my sig to get an idea of the power gains to be had.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom, thanks. Do I port just the lower or both lower and upper?? What about MAF and Throttle body?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, dino

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have 1970 windsor heads for my car also. thing is, if you're gonna use an e303 cam with those heads you're gonna have to get better valve springs. also have the heads been converted over to screw-in studs w/ guideplates? if not you are gonna have to make sure you get the right rockers and you're probably gonna have to get different size pushrods. i had mine converted so i can use full roller adjustable rr's. also when you do find the right rockers i think you're gonna have to find your own nuts to bolt them down, cause i don't think any rockers you get will come with those 5/16 nuts. IMO i would at least have them drilled for screw-in studs and then you can get yourself a good set of rockers. and have them decked like .020 . it's a safe cut and will help boost your compression, the heads already have like 58cc chambers which is gonna boost your compression also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks neck! My heads have hardened valve seats for unleaded gas, and mildly ported. These heads were on a 351W with a comp cam 280H...so I asume the springs are OK...since the comp cam had .512 lift and 230 duration. My concern is...with the stock 86 pistons...will this setup work?? Joe said I need to have the piston's notched...hope not! Now my main concern is what MAF, Throttle boddy, etc. to use. I was a carb guy, I'm old, and I'm trying to learn this new stuff. Thanks very much for the reply...I REALLY appreciate the imput! dino

1 - 7 of 7 Posts