Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get any/everyone's opinion for which 1.6 roller rockers to use on the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads # 60229.

I have the option of buying the heads right now, but will hold off a bit to get all the small parts first. The engine in my '88 is stock minus the cam, pushrods, and head bolts (ARP). The cam is a Comp Cams 35-440-8 Camshaft, 281HR, Magnum, Hydraulic Roller, 281/281-220/220-.512/.512-110. The stock springs in my factory heads are weak. The pushrods are Crane chromoly 6.375 inch (CRN-36625-16). These heads are going to stay on the 5.0L. They won't be used on my 351W project which some of you are aware that I'm building (or trying to). Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've always liked the Ford stuff but it is pricier. I've read some good things about the Scorpion rockers on here so you may want to look into them

Casey

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have never had a problem with the b351 motorsport 1.6 rockers. Cranes energizers are good quality, less expensive, but heavier. The trickflows appear to be made the same as the motorsports but factor in they cost the same and the motorsports are known to be good quality.... The scorpions I have had some people say good about but a few haven't liked them. The proforms I haven't heard much good about.

Aren't your head springs living on borrowed time with that .512 lift cam?

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, FHATT. They've been running on this motor since 2½ to 3 years that I replaced the entire motor. The cam has been in 3 motors including the current one. During the past year I've noticed that the car *seems* weaker when I get on it to pass traffic or if I just happen to leave hard from a dead stop. Up around 6K the car has a slight miss which to me feels and sounds like valve float. The passenger side cylinder head sounds like there's a chain dancing around on the rockers at all RPMs. At idle is when it's most annoying. Been that way for a long time now. I don't want to invest in freshening up worthless cylinder heads or buying replacement stock ones. The Ford Motorsport rockers, from what I understand, are made by Crane. I've installed a set before, but that was years ago and they were pedestal mount. This will be the first time I'm messing with stud mounted rockers. The only Scorpions I've heard good things about were a high dollar set for serious race engines. I'm not familiar with their off the shelf bolt-on rockers. I would like to get a set of lightweight rockers for these heads. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The crane blazer rocker arm is a nice piece also and not too pricey. Part number 3065 take a look at them not too bad.
Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts