Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried all I can think of to get my Steeda Aluminum Clutch Quadrant to stop vibrating but alas to no avail.

This past weekend I pulled it off and added a steel sleeve to the front "hole" to tighten up the fit and snugged up everything. I am getting VERY tired of the vibrating/rattling that the pedal has after installing the quadrant several months ago.

If I put my foot on the pedal and push just a tad, not enough to disengage my clutch, but enought to put pressure on the throw-out bearing to pressure plate... if I do this the vibration stops and feels silky smooth.

Perhaps I need to tighten up the Firewall Adjuster ??? I really don't want the clutch engaging a foot off the floor.. but alas, I may have to try that. I just don't want to wear out the pressure plate or throw-out bearing f/my recently installed SPEC clutch.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated. At this point I'm seriously considering going back to the crappy plastic OE quadrant. At least it didn't make any noise and actually felt smoother than this Steeda Unit. I wonder if the UPR Quadrant would be the same way????

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt..

am I the only one who has this problem out of all the Steeda Clutch Quadrants that people have installed???

I emailed Steeda last week and haven't heard anything f/them either.

I'm beginning to think I'm jynxed... :(

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You said you used a steel sleeve, but is your quadrant shimmed so it can't move side to side? I used 3 or 4 1/2" washers on both shafts on the inside of the quadrant to keep it from moving. You should buy several washers, and may have to sand one down to get it all nice and snug. Remember, the stock quadrant is thicker, PLUS it has springs to keep it from moving.

Also, it's important to shim it so the quadrant is directly in line with the hole in the firewall adjuster.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same problem so I don't know how to help you.
In fact my clutch pedal rattled when my car had 6000 miles
and a stock clutch and stock plastic quadrant. So, I guess I've just gotten used to it. I just shift and it goes away but it does get pretty annoying.

Good luck, I'd be interested to see where this goes if anyones able to help.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snakebit...

thanks for the suggestion, but yes I have shimmed the quadrant w/the washers as you suggested. I'm going to call and talk to one of the tech's at Steeda today and see what suggestions they can offer.

I suppose it's possible that I didnt' get the quadrant lined up just perfect w/the cable coming in thru the firewall adjuster... but laying on your back w/your neck and arms twisted around doesn't lend itself to the best method to line these up just perfect. I would hope that the adjustment doesn't have to be that precise.. but I could be wrong.

I'll post again on this topic if/when I can come up w/a solution.

However... if there's anyone here whose already done the leg-work and knows how to cure this it would be MUCH appreciated for your advise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem. I have the Steeda clutch quadrant with quick release quadrant(red). Try lining up the quadrant as suggested and place rubber washers(hardware,plumbing store,etc) in between the metal washers and quadrant. Make sure it's snug.:)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just remembered a problem a friend of mine had when he installed an aftermarket quadrant, he onlt put one hole (the center one) on the shaft. The back end of the quadrant could flop around. It still worked, but felt sloppy.

If your problem is that the hole on the quadrant is significantly larger than the shaft, you will get vibration. Locktite makes a product for seating bearings. It;s thich and when it dries, if=t forms a thin barrier to hold the bearing in place. This might work for you (it's worth a try). If there is a lot of slop, you might consider buying a replacement quadrant, or using a bushing (you may have to drill the hole out even more to fit over the bushing).

Sorry, that's all I have. I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys... I'll give the rubber washer in-between the metal washers trick a try and see if it'll kill some of the vibrations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts