Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it might be an electrical problem, but anyway, I have an 87 front clip on my 84. Lately, one of the headlights has become very dim. The housings are new and very clear, and I replaced the bulbs today hoping it would repair the problem.

However, the one headlight on the passenger side is very dim and the other lights on that side are also pretty dim (the turn signal, etc.).

Maybe in a related note, I noticed the turn signal indicator (for right turns) stays on when my headlights are on.

All this started within the last couple days, after the car had been sitting in a garage with the battery disconnected for months.

I know it'll be a pain to trace down an electrical problem which this sounds like, but I was hoping there's a simple explanation. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add: The turn signals have been blinking very slowly for a while now and the grounds to the battery may not be as good as I could make them. I'll do that tomorrow and consider replacing the flasher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with the blinkers on my 87. When I had the system going and the heater blowing and the lights on my blinkers would flash very slowley, the problem was fixed when I got a 140 amp alt., the lights also got brighter. As for the headlights being out of snyc, try looking at the connections and see if there is any corrosion.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
there are grounds for the headlights right on the fender panel behind the headlights, check that...mine was loose and my drivers side lights were all dim when i had the fog lights on

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bump for saving my sanity... problem passenger side dim headlights seem to be fixed!

·
Registered
189 Posts
there are grounds for the headlights right on the fender panel behind the headlights, check that...mine was loose and my drivers side lights were all dim when i had the fog lights on
^^^^ This. You have a bad ground to the light.I have fixed many of these on various cars through out the years.

·
Registered
35,605 Posts
"One dim headlight, one bright headlight" "I think it might be an electrical problem..."

Ya think? ;)

As above - check plug connections, ground connections. Sort headlight out before tackling blinker issue.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Jesus Christ. This thing got drug up from 2003?

Buy two books by CarTech. Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems and Automotive Electrical Performance Projects. Both by Tony Candela. Then buy a Chilton/Haynes for the wiring diagram for your car. For the rest of your life fix ####.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts