Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you have read my post and know I'm an old guy and I'm setting up a roots type blower and I'm going old school (carburetor) I'm doing it the way we did it 30 years ago. It's been a while since I have done this but I remember most of the tricks. One thing that I have seen in some post and threads is the problem of blow by causing oil to slobber out on the engine during boost. In my day if you leaked a drop of anything on the track you were disqualified . The problem of blow by was quickly solved with an oil catch can (same way the circle track racers still do it) We ran a hose from the valve cover up on the fire wall to a can with a breather on the top of the can it had baffles that collected the oil.
When the race was over the oil that had collected in the can ran back down into the motor. Problem solved with no oil loss. Usually there was only small amount of oil in the can but even 1/4 cup of oil makes a nasty mess if it's blown all over the engine.. Are you guys with super chargers and blowers still doing this? And does anybody really care about the old school ways? If you would like to see I will post pic's as I set this thing up. Lee

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Hey I see your from Parsons... I travel to Buckhannon from time to time. (and live beside Parkersburg. :) )

My original motor with an S and 10 lbs of boost had some serious blow by issues... I ran a breather to catch can set up like you mentioned up on my firewall. After about 10 min of driving it filled up the catch can! LOL (after that I decided I better do a rebuild. :joy: )

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep... this is what i've finally resorted to.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Cheapest catch can you can make (looks good too)!

Visit Bed Bath and Beyond. Find a nice Stainless Steel soap dispensor. Mod as needed. Follow along:

"Well I had all the lines,fittings plus filter and I finally found a nice stainless steel canister. I tried using a sport bottle but the walls were too thin and soap dispenser was very thick. Here are the results."

·
Registered
19 Posts
That`s slick as hell. Thought of using a steel container but never dreamed of buying it there. I guess that women`s crap in the mall isn`t totally useless!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dangerwill, that is to cool.. A+

·
Registered
243 Posts
#### that nice ,and probley cost 1/3 less than my morso setup at 85.00 bucks
:hammer:

put petcock underneath and you gin only i would have run bigger lines

but thats me.

still good shopping sense and ingenuity

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cheapest catch can you can make (looks good too)!

Visit Bed Bath and Beyond. Find a nice Stainless Steel soap dispensor. Mod as needed. Follow along:

"Well I had all the lines,fittings plus filter and I finally found a nice stainless steel canister. I tried using a sport bottle but the walls were too thin and soap dispenser was very thick. Here are the results."

Damn that's slick somebody give that hillbilly a gold star on for his ice box

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Thats sweet man!!!!

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I used an AC dryer(Aluminum) can from the JY..Cut off the lines & TIG'd the AN fittings similar to what "Dangerwill" did..Then I polished it..Works just fine. I use one as an overflow for the radiator also..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts