Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just took of my harmonic balancer, and the crank is pretty covered in oil. front seal leaking, or what? how bad of a problem is this? between oil changes it is only usually down about 1/2 quart. thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah, It's the front main seal. You have two choices on replacing it: you can struggle and pull it out now then fool with putting another in while the timing cover is bolted down (this method is a pita trying to make sure the seal is put in flush), or you can pull the timing cover and replace it. If you pull the timing cover, you could replace the timing set too if the chain has some slack in it. Since your pulling the cover, the water pump can be replaced as well.

You could let it go, however, but it will get worse over time.

Tony

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Maybe you could do me a favor, I bought a new damnper and some spacers are missing. Measure from the mounting face for the pulley to the end of the hub that goes toward the engine. Thanks alot. It sounds like the front seal is leaking on your car. Also check the front intake gasket, o-ring on the distributer leaks sometimes, the oil sending unit will leak alot of oil near the front of the motor. or even the front pan gasket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This might be a long shot, but a possibility... I always put a fat bead of silicone behind the crank bolt washer whenever I have the balancer off. It keeps oil from weeping between the crank keyway and the inside of the balancer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i had oil on the inside of my crank pulley, but not the outside. removed balancer, put a little form-a-gasket on it and put it back together, leak fixed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Leaking front seal....

Installing the front seals not that bad with the cover on....Remember to check for wear grove in the dampener...It'll most likely have a grove worn in it....2 Fixs...1,have a machine shop install a speedy sleeve(Repair sleeve)
or 2 replace dampner($$$)....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts