Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason why i am using summit is because i ordered my MSD igntion from them (best price) and i dont want to order from a bunch of places, save $$ on shipping, plus i had 20 bucks off from summit.

who can help, maybe i can stop my order placed this afternoon and get something more widely reccomended. i prefer to use new parts, trying to avoid junkyard parts and the fabrications that may lie ahead.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,393 Posts
Whoever said the Black Magic fan is no good has other cooling problems. My 332 never gets over 180* in this GA heat and I have a AutoZone 3 core radiator.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i just heard people saying it sucked. i dont have a cooling problem now, just wanted the electric fan to cool me off when sitting in traffic, as it is now, in traffic i get around 210-215... a little too hot for my liking. i have a 3 core radiatior as well. i just didnt research fans much, and ordered one. at 209 bucks, i didnt want to be stuck with it if it sucked.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey craigm1841,

I've heard mixed opinions regarding the Black magic also, and always wondered if the people who labeled them to be crap had a existing cooling problem and instead condemed the fan.
My car runs similar to your temps(210-220 max ) in traffic with A/C blasting. once I get moving right back to 190 or so.

Please keep us updated on your fan install and how it performs on you car. I'd love to get one and chuck the big ass clutch fan and shroud!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's a cheap suggestion:
Get a junk yard electric fan from a Buick La Sabre with a V6 for about $10. They're abundant, cheap and work well. Worst case, you'll lose time and 10 bucks. BTW, I know a guy who is using this fan on a Lightning and hasn't had cooling problems.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There are many OEM fans that are far better than the pos black tragic. $200??? That's insane for a crappy fan that doesn't really pull much air. I used one 5 or 6 years ago and it was a pile of junk. I switched to a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and that was the end of my cooling problems. Cooling a motor in Pheonix summer rush hour traffic is the ULTIMATE test.

The Mark VIII fan is just about the best fan you can get but they're hard to find. An easy alternative that works really well are the Taurus fans. They're easy to find in a junkyard and cheap. Do a search on here and you'll find more info on them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
nothing wrong with the Black magic. It pulls a lot more air at idle than the stock fan. Plus it comes with all the necessary hardware which saves time and frustration. There are better fans, but I have had no problems with mine (my car is stock though)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
smokeshow93 said:
nothing wrong with the Black magic. It pulls a lot more air at idle than the stock fan.
Actually, that's not true. If you have a properly working clutch fan it'll pull more air at idle than the BM.

The BM is just way overpriced. It does fine on some cars but for $200 you can do a LOT better.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i don't know if summit sells it.proform(778-67015) has an electric fan that does a great job of keeping my car cool.this unit pulls 2800 cfm.
i got mine thru jegs for about 120

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yep, should have ordered the Proform fan from Jegs. $120 like he said. They buy the fans from the same company! I wouldn't doubt it if it is the same company selling on two different fronts.

We have a BM fan on our '92 that runs mid 12's here in Dallas. It stays at 170-180 in rush hour with the stock radiator. It's 100 here right now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks bad89stang. im lookin at maybe 350HP right now, i havnt had it dynoed and i dont know what it'll run, and its about 100 here. im not really worried about the money, just something to do the trick. and sorry if i sound like an *******, but i wont use junkyard parts in my car. period. i wont even put in used parts. theres nothing wrong with it, just a personal preference. 10 grand on my car, and have sunk thousands in since then, im not gonna worry about saving a hundred bucks, i dont want a junk yard part, and i dont want to rig anything.

-craig

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The ramcharger fan owns all and is not as hard on the electrical system as the MKVIII IMO.

I bought the one with the harness and relays. Mounted it just like The Hawk and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
craigm1841 said:
im not really worried about the money, just something to do the trick. and sorry if i sound like an *******, but i wont use junkyard parts in my car. period. i wont even put in used parts. theres nothing wrong with it, just a personal preference. 10 grand on my car, and have sunk thousands in since then, im not gonna worry about saving a hundred bucks, i dont want a junk yard part, and i dont want to rig anything.

-craig
That is sad IMO but hey it's your money.:D

If you don't want to work on your car or do any kind of fabrication than you are pretty much stuck with the craptacular BM fan and it's knockoffs.

FACTORY fans are some of the best fans on the face of the planet. Yes even the ones in the wrecking yard. I'll stick with my ramchargers fan which you probably didn't even look at the link above and not worry about it. Yes the ramchargers fan is a factory based fan used on chryslers I believe.

Sorry if I sound a bit snippy but I take pride in doing my own work and fabrication. So do a **** load of others on this site.

LOL as the old wrecking yard saying goes YOUR CAR ROLLS ON USED PARTS EVERY DAY.;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
hey, i have nothing against used parts, just that i prefer new parts. and id rather not have to fabricate things, seems as though a lot of times it is more along the lines of rigging as opposed to fabricating. i just want something that truely looks like it belongs there, and isnt going to give me too much trouble putting in. i am in the army and i am currently working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, dont have time to go to a junkyard anyway, and def dont have time for fabricating. just because id rather buy new parts that belong where im putting them doesnt mean i dont take pride in my work. i dont know what else to say. i guess i'll sit back and take the flames from the guys who use junkyard parts.

--and i did look at the ramcharger link. it looks good, it seems as if it is comparible to the black magic, just a lot cheaper. (although i do like the dual fans) i have done a lot of research now, and i have come to the conclusion that the only reason people dont like the black magic is because of the price.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
i use the black magic fan on my blown car (about 400-450 hp) and it keeps it no hotter than 185 in 95-100* weather. theres nothing wrong with the fan if you have a well working cooling system. i have that fan, stock water pump, and summit aluminum radiator and it works flawlessly.

the price is bad yes, but like stated above you can get it for $120 now under the "proform" name. same exact product.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
233 Posts
avbcon12 said:
i use the black magic fan on my blown car (about 400-450 hp) and it keeps it no hotter than 185 in 95-100* weather. theres nothing wrong with the fan if you have a well working cooling system. i have that fan, stock water pump, and summit aluminum radiator and it works flawlessly.

the price is bad yes, but like stated above you can get it for $120 now under the "proform" name. same exact product.

take care,
adam
I agree. The BM fan does a good job IF you have a functional cooling system. ;)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
yea, i mean for what you get (relays, wiring, temp swithes, etc) its really hard to beat.

take care,
adam

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I've never had a single problem with a BM fan. That Ramchargers thing looks BAD ASS though.

Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts