Ford Mustang Forums banner

OK to install used lifters that are pumped up?

357 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pyro85GT 
#1 ·
I got a set of low miles hydr roller lifters - they're apparently pumped up - oil trapped inside, can't push the seat down into the lifter (by hand, haven't tried against a valve spring).

When the engine is first started, if they don't bleed out for the normal preload, will it hurt anything, or will they bleed out right away, or???

Also, if they won't bleed down against the valve springs, I won't be able to
tell rocker arm pattern (1.7 roller rockers) on the valve tips to set the pedestal height, right?

Thanks for any info - couldn't find quite the right info in search.

#3 · (Edited)
if im not mistaken, youre supposed to use a solid lifter to check the rocker arm pattern. at least i did with my stud mount rockers. im not sure if its the same for the pedestal mounted ones, but i would think it is. i guess a pumped up lifter would work, but mine kept bleeding down since i left the regular springs on the heads and not the lightweight springs. i dont think it would really hurt to start it up with them pumped up since they should have a certain amount of preload on them anyways. if the piston to valve clearance is within spec i dont see how it could hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.