Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a n/a guy by nature. but the more i see the cost of the whole thing it has become unfortunately clear to me that i can get more h/p out of a s/cr. but i still have worries about engine life with the constant use of boost.so at what psi is the safest and yet will give me the most h/p and dependability.all is on a stock motor.also what h/p would be achieved with what i think is the safe zone 6-psi 8-psi 10-psi 12-psi.any help would be great.its your mission to sway to go with a s/c.lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
Best bet would be to do a search in the forums for your info but from what I have seen you are gambling with anytype of power adder. The tune is the key here but some guys here have 12lbs of boost with a stock bottom end and others will have the most basic set up and something will break. If you add a sc always know in the back of your mind that it could go boom anytime. On that note I have 2 1/2 summers on my setup which is pretty rich tune...approx 25,000km and alot of passes at the strip.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
It is all in how you have it set up and tuned. My car is very stock motor-wise. I installed my procharger (see sig) when the car had only 107,000 miles on it. Now 5 years later I have 238,000 miles. No problems. On the other side of the coin-some people have had misshaps during the install and never even gotten up and running without a rebuild (an extreme but true case).
Erich

·
Registered
131 Posts
As others have stated, no one really knows what the safe cutoff level is. I think it has a lot to do with luck and how you drive/treat your car, and of course the tune. But if you are looking for a safe tune then you might want to look into the mongoose/cobra killer kit. That is the route that I took and so far I am very happy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have put 13K miles on my stock motor, clutch & transmission with a blower (12K miles NA). I first had a Novi 1000 with A/A Intercooler running 10.5 psi & 14 degrees of timing. Then I upgraded to the Novi 2000 and have 8.5 psi & 16 degrees of timing. Mike Murillo tunes my car and I believe he is why my car runs with zero problems. I am in the process of having a motor built but thats because I want 550+rwhp and it made more sense to build up a new motor so I can still drive my car (which is good considering how long it takes to get all the things required for 550+rwhp). As long as you don't go crazy on the boost and get a good dyno tune you should be okay, but I would set aside or save the funds for a forged motor because eventually things happen. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
its all in the tune... u get what u pay for... fine a good tuner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
like they said, the key is good tuning, and not turning every red light into a 1/4 mile run. if you go with a centrifugal supercharger its a good bet you're motor will hardly ever see boost......UNLESS YOU FLOOR IT. i procharged at 128,000 miles and i take it easy unless i want to release the fury. you NEED to have the tune down pat and keep the a/f ratio in the 11's or 12's to be safe. have enough injector and MAF to support the power and enough fuel pump to get the fuel there. supercharging is very safe as long as you don't abuse it.

i started out with 12# no problems so far.......

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
It is true-on the street, centrifugal supercharged cars have it pretty easy. You only put the strain on when your foot is on the floor. Helps get good mpg if you drive nice.
Cool that you put the Procharger on at 128K! Thats the highest I've heard of.
Erich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts