Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I HOPE someone here knows what the hell it's problem is, and what i need to do to fix it, i wanted to buy a replacement T5, but thats not happening (idiots want 8-900 for a USED one! :livid: )

anyways, from what I heard before, its some kind of bearings that need replacing...here is the story...

When i bought the car, it leaked gear oil (yes, the assclowns filled it with gear oil!! :mad: ) anyways, when i got it, the tranny shifted fine, it was smooth, dead quiet, except for the gear oil leak, well then i found out its supposed to use ATF, so i drain out the gear oil, and put tranny fluid in it.

Once i did that, it leaked faster then it did with gear oil, since its a lot more thin, and it didnt stink like gear oil did, but it only dripped like 3 or 4 drops everytime i would stop somewhere, so i figured it wasnt that big of a deal, well after a few weeks, it started making a faint whining sound when i was on the gas in 1st-3rd and 5th.

Well, about 5 months pass, and it only used about 1/4 of a quart of tranny fluid, which i kept an eye on at the time, and I decided to install 3.73s, well the guy i had do it, i told him to find out why it was leaking, and he told me it was due to the front driveshaft yoke being worn, and he said it would need replaced, or its going to keep leaking.

Well, i got the 3.73s installed in October, and anytime i would hit over 60mph, it would vibrate pretty bad, and even start to smoke a litlle, which i couldnt figure out why (the tranny fluid was leaking so bad it was burning off the exhaust, which I didnt know about at the time)

So after about a day or so of this, i started hearing the dreaded sound that i LOATHE now. MUCH louder then before, and is the whole reason im getting the tranny replaced if i could figure out what happened! I then filled the tranny, and it took 2.5 quarts! :eek: :eek:

well, since i couldnt afford a driveshaft yet (the stock one's u-joints were shot) (and i could KILL myself for doing this!) I drove it from the end of october, until mid january, constantly filling it up with transmission fluid until i finally got the aluminum driveshaft.

well, i replaced the tailshaft bushing and put in the new driveshaft, and it stopped the leak, but of course it kept the whine (and its been drivin 8,000 some miles with the whine)

anyways, im wondering what the hell it is, it does it in every gear but 4th, and only when im on the gas (1st being the loudest, and 5th being the quietest)

im gonna get a video up here tomorrow so you guys can hear it too! its makes the car so VERY little fun to drive, it sounds HORRIBLE!!

btw, here are some pics i took back when I had this problem...

worn driveshaft

Transmission leak when it was at it's worst (that blacked caked on stuff is baked on tranny fluid from it leaking so bad and the cats, when i had them, baking it on there)

·
Registered
315 Posts
The T5 was designed to run with ATF so when they put in the gear oil it probably wasn't getting oiled correctly and wore out the bearings?? The tolerances inside the tranny is just to tight for gear oil and will cause adverse effects.I have seen this before and its a pain, but sounds like you will have to tear it down and have everything reset.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M1fast87 said:
I have seen this before and its a pain, but sounds like you will have to tear it down and have everything reset.
so in other words EVERY LAST PIECE of it will need replaced?

·
Registered
315 Posts
No, actually if the bearings are still good they will just need to be tightened up. The tolerances will have to be reset. If they show any blue color, pitting, metal flaking or wear replace them. They are fairly cheap but are a pain to put in and have to be "setup" with the right tolerances.

Alot of times the loose bearings in the imput shaft go bad due to the thicker oil, thus causing to much play in the imput,output shaft. This will cause it to wine like an alley cat, because the gears aren't meshing right. It will eventually wear everything out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Call D&D and order a 94-piece rebuild kit for $149...

Call Hanlon and order the rebuild video ($17), the manual ($13), a steel input bearing retainer ($40), and a tailhousing bushing ($3.50...

Once you have all the parts, see http://www.oldwestracing.com, look under articles, and gather the required tools...

Set aside a weekend, and rebuild the thing yourself; not hard to do, just time and attention consuming (especially the first time). If you have Q's, ask'em, as several here are regular rebuilders (Glenn comes to mind...).

Chris

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neighbors said:
Call D&D and order a 94-piece rebuild kit for $149...

Call Hanlon and order the rebuild video ($17), the manual ($13), a steel input bearing retainer ($40), and a tailhousing bushing ($3.50...

Once you have all the parts, see http://www.oldwestracing.com, look under articles, and gather the required tools...

Set aside a weekend, and rebuild the thing yourself; not hard to do, just time and attention consuming (especially the first time). If you have Q's, ask'em, as several here are regular rebuilders (Glenn comes to mind...).

Chris
so the 94 piece will have all the parts i need to make it quiet again?

·
Registered
315 Posts
W.O.T. Stang said:

so the 94 piece will have all the parts i need to make it quiet again?
It should. I don't see the tranny being ruined yet. Just some of the toleances off some. It should be like a new one if your gears are still good and everything else is correct.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice article -- thanks for posting that up! I figure this tranny can only last me so long. :rolleyes:

Chuck

·
Registered
142 Posts
WOT Stang,

I have a nice used T-5 that I will sell to you for cheap. How about $400 plus your old one?

Here is the scoop. My car came with an 89 which I traded for an 87 and 90 somehow, I fixed a couple of friends and ended up with these (nothing wrong with the 90, my friend went automatic). Anyway, I rebuilt the 90 with the D&D 2.95, alloy cluster, etc. and it is currently in my car. I then took the 90 parts and rebuilt the 87. This tranny is my backup so it is bagged under my work bench ready to go. I recently purchased a T-Trim so when not if my 90 T-95 dies:rolleyes: I will probably go to a T-56 or Tremec TKO.

Basically the T-5 for sale has all of the best parts that I had laying around. It is by no means a new tranny, but the parts that I put into it are in great shape. The 90 gear clusters are also stronger than the earlier models. The parts I used came out of a 90 1352-199. Check out this link for some great info on T-5s.

http://www.ddperformance.com/Trans ID chart.htm

Let me know.

Rick

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rebuild Kit

What's the difference between D&D's 94 piece rebuild kit and Hanlon's Master rebuild kit?

Is one better and/or more inclusive than the other?

F

·
0 Posts
I have a T5 that was rebuilt 2 years ago and I am putting a C4 in my car so I am selling my T5 and a billit steel flywheel for $700 plus shipping. Email me at [email protected] if intrested.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Since we're on the subject of whiney T-5's. What would cause my T-5 to whine after I get on it. I can drive around relatively calm with no whine. As soon as I get on it in a couple of gears, I get this whiney howelling errie sound. Gear clearances?. It's been like this since it was brand new. I thought it would clear up once it was broken in but hasn't. It's a T-5z by the way. Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts