Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a shortblock from a friend and when I went to put the oil pump on last night I realized that the stud that the oil pickup mounts to is on the wrong main cap... so my question: Will it be ok if I just mount the oil pump and dont secure the pickup screen to the main cap?? or will it shake around too much while its sucking up oil?

If I have to I guess I can loosen the mains but they are ARP studded mains and I dont want to screw them up any.. is there a certain procedure to loosen and retorqueing the studded mains? anyone have some advice?? I need to know by tonight.. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I would definitely mount the pickup properly and torque to spec. You can loosen the ARP studs no problem, just retorque each side to ARP specs. HTH

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so its safe to take off the main cap studs and swap the bolts than retorque even though the motor's almost completely built.. ie longblock w/intake... Do I have to loosen all of the main caps or can I just swap the two bolts from the two different main caps i need and retorque?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts