Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After warm up my oil pressure gauge has been acting a little funny. It will read right in the middle while idling when cold, and when at 2000 rpms it moves slightly up. after a bit of driving at temp, at idle the gauge disappears below zero. if I hold it at like 900-1100 rpm, it stays in the middle. while driving the oil pressure is fine in the middle of the gauge. It's only while idleing when warm. Before I did the 180 thermostat, I had a 160 and it never did this. I have wiggled the wire on the sending unit to see if it was a bad connection, but no. It has 10w30 in it now, but I think i may try 20w50 on the next oil change to see if it will fix it. Could it be my gauge? it's the stock one. Or the sending unit? Or am I losing oil pressure at idle? :eek: HELP. ADam

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats my next plan, but it has to wait a couple weeks. Do gauges go bad like this? I dont think a 66k stock motor would lose oil pressure. There is no leaks on this thing, and it's pretty mint. ADam

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll see if I can get one next weekend. Adam

·
Registered
952 Posts
Long shot - quick check: How clean is the 10W-30? Occasionally a rich mixture or failure to change oil at the proper time causes the oil to become diluted to the point it is extremely thin, (gasoline dilutes fast), causing low readings at low RPM. Very dirty and/or over full and/or feels very thin and abrasive when you rub it between your fingers could be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts