Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a 5.4 swap with a new MMR 5.4 shortblock. I was running a TFS intake but removed it because of fitment issues. I had the top of the intake off and noticed oil in the bottom. I thought perhaps it was in there before (i bought it used) and didn't notice it. Well today I looked in my new PI intake after having run the car for about 20 minutes total over the period of a couple weeks and noticed I have oil in there again. The engine has PI heads with a valve job, and CMS stage 2.5 cams. I don't have the PCV hooked up and the usual other vac lines hooked up like brake booster, fuel pressure regulator, and the one for the fuel vapor canister deal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right it would be normal for a mod motor to have a light coating but I'm talking about an ounce or two. Like I stated before though I DON'T have a PCV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with a breather on the valve cover and no pcv its normal to have an ounce or two of oil in the intake after running it for about 20 minutes? I still don't think that sounds right.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
How did you handle your PCV delete? Did you leave the passenger side hose between the valve cover and intake pipe in place?

·
3,694 Posts
One person at Ford told me that oil separators are good for the supercharged engines but not for n/a. This prevents the cooler fins in the intake manifold from getting caked up. But in an n/a car the oil lubricates the top of the pistons. And i suppose if you use good oil and not the lube-and-go $9.99 special, the back of the valves wont get as gummed up. I personally run Mobil 1 and every time ive taken off my valve covers it looks wet from oil but absolutely immaculate and clean. I ran a separator on my sig car for a while but then i took it off and it doesnt run any different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you handle your PCV delete? Did you leave the passenger side hose between the valve cover and intake pipe in place?
There are no hoses coming from my valve covers. I have a breather on both the passenger and driver valve cover but yet there was a puddle in the bottom of the intake.

·
3,694 Posts
There are no hoses coming from my valve covers. I have a breather on both the passenger and driver valve cover but yet there was a puddle in the bottom of the intake.
one of those has a PCV valve connected to it. On my 2k GT its under the intake pipe on the passenger side valve cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one of those has a PCV valve connected to it. On my 2k GT its under the intake pipe on the passenger side valve cover.
Nope NO PCV at all. Just two little "air filters".

Anyways I found the cause or at least what I hope is the cause. The head gasket is allowing coolant in the oil pan. The coolant filled the pan up and caused it to reach the intake just like when someone over fills their car with oil. Now I just need to find out why the head gasket didn't work seeing as how they are brand new.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That is pretty bad news, unfortunately. When ethylene glycol gets into the oil, it turns the oil into a sludge that can plug your oil galleys. I'd seriously consider tearing that engine down and cleaning them all out if I were you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Luckily I haven't run it much to create that whitish sludge. It was all just sitting all separated for the most part in the pan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts