Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the difference between the M-6881-C and the -A5?

The C is 04 down, the A5 is 05-09. I see a minor gasket change and color difference but the part itself (for what you can see) is the same.
04 Down

05-09

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller? Bueller?

·
authorized corral.net advertisers
17,062 Posts
1 Manilfold has a slightly larger coolant hole, the large style can be used on all applications but the small one can only be used on engines with the smaller hole or they will leak.

MMR
Modular Motorsports Racing

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. I'm assuming the A5 is the larger judging by the gasket?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wrong Gasket

Look at the two gaskets. My engine is a stock DOHC, 2001.

The one with the orange rubber in it is the wrong gasket. Why? if you look at the block opening it curves above the top bolt hole. So if you use this gasket it won't compress the rubber and seal against the block on the top arc. Note that the rubber goes straight out from the top bolt hole instead of curving above it.

In the other one with the blue rubber note that this gasket does curve above the top bolt hole. Hence when tightened it will properly compress the rubber against the block.

I used one of the orange ones years ago. And had a very minor, baffling and persistent coolant leak. Never very much but it was always there. Never any drops of coolant on the floor either... couldn't find it.

When I did an oil system mod I went to install an orange gasket and serendipitously saw the difference between the gasket and the block footprints. Researched this and found the right gasket. NAPA has one in their system.

Pay attention to what you order. I got the wrong one from RockAuto as a standard gasket for the engine. They are so close in design that most won't realize the difference.

...And your leak will be so small that few will even believe its there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to dig this up but what adapter is that? I'm trying to piece together a oil filter relocation/cooler set up as my factory one took a dump on me

·
Registered
200 Posts
Canton Racing Products makes an adapter. It's not the one in the pictures above but functionally the same. I have the Canton Racing Products one and it works fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bringing this back up. I recently did a teksid swap in a 03 mach, and I used the original oil filter adapter. I am having to replace the adapter, and forget which gasket I needed for the application. I believe I used the blue gasket, but if anyone can confirm that I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I think its the red one right? They said the blue one was for 2005-2009 4.6 motors? I actually have that adapter (the first one, with the red gasket) sitting in my "to-do" parts pin for a filter relocation and air cooler instead of the coolant cooler, so I recognized it :D

Edit : Once you install that, what lower rad hose do you use? Just a regular GT one? Does that mean I could finally use some silicone coolant hoses?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Don't get hung up on the gasket color - I have seen them in orange, red and blue. The FelPro kit I recently picked up for an upcoming Aluminator build has both gaskets, and both are blue. You just have to know that the one with the smaller opening is for the iron block and the larger is for the aluminum. In the pic at the very top, the small one is actually orange and the large is blue, but they are also easy to compare visually even if the color is the same for both.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't get hung up on the gasket color - I have seen them in orange, red and blue. The FelPro kit I recently picked up for an upcoming Aluminator build has both gaskets, and both are blue. You just have to know that the one with the smaller opening is for the iron block and the larger is for the aluminum. In the pic at the very top, the small one is actually orange and the large is blue, but they are also easy to compare visually even if the color is the same for both.
If you're using the Ford OEM gaskets, YES the color is critical.

If you put the orange gasket on a Teksid block and bolt your hot side over the adapter, when you fill the block with coolant you'll be mopping it up off the floor immediately after then you'll have to take all apart and do it over again.

As far as I know:
Blue = aluminum blocks
Orange = iron blocks

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My comment was in reference to the Felpro kits - their gasket have come in different colors. It's simply a matter of matching it to the block before bolting anything down. The gasket set I picked up had both, and both were blue - easy enough to see which one was correct.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I still have mine w/ the gasket but never installed it - I see these things are OOP now, what do they go for nowadays?

·
authorized corral.net advertisers
17,062 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Damn that's like twice what I bought mine for, but does look like a quality piece for sure. What hose does one use when using this piece? A regular GT hose?

Are the factory water to oil coolers able to be used on non-DOHC motors (basically can I sell it when installing an air to oil cooler)?

I know those sandwich adapters have some type of thermostatic device in it to keep oil from going through the cooler when the oil is cold, and I know the coolant does help heat up the oil faster for less wear in the stock setup - is there any type of "inline" or tee-fitting thermostat to keep oil from going through the cooler until its warm?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Damn that's like twice what I bought mine for, but does look like a quality piece for sure. What hose does one use when using this piece? A regular GT hose?

Are the factory water to oil coolers able to be used on non-DOHC motors (basically can I sell it when installing an air to oil cooler)?

I know those sandwich adapters have some type of thermostatic device in it to keep oil from going through the cooler when the oil is cold, and I know the coolant does help heat up the oil faster for less wear in the stock setup - is there any type of "inline" or tee-fitting thermostat to keep oil from going through the cooler until its warm?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Most people end up deleting the OEM Ford oil/water snail since it is known to crack and mix/leak.

Oil->air with a thermostat (Mishimoto) is the best way to go. Not cheap though. I'm definitely one to save money where possible (perpetually broke college kid) but I'm not sure I'd risk it for oil control since the rest of the engine critically depends on it.

Edit: Link

Mishimoto In-Line Oil Thermostat, by Mishimoto

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Not what I was envisioning but that does exactly what I was thinking. I didn't expect it to be so much but maybe because it's made out of (what looks like) billet alum and quality fittings vs. some cast stuff like what we're talking about (the FRPP filter adapter).

If you run a air-oil setup, how long(er) does it take for the oil to get to operating temp and can the oil be run too cold because its too efficient when not at WOT racing around? What I mean is will the oil be too cold (w/ or w/o a t-stat really) to flow properly and lubricate because it never gets and stays at operating temp?

I know we're kind of going off topic I guess but these questions have been rattling around for awhile since I have this part to install, but haven't yet because don't know how to do the rest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not what I was envisioning but that does exactly what I was thinking. I didn't expect it to be so much but maybe because it's made out of (what looks like) billet alum and quality fittings vs. some cast stuff like what we're talking about (the FRPP filter adapter).

If you run a air-oil setup, how long(er) does it take for the oil to get to operating temp and can the oil be run too cold because its too efficient when not at WOT racing around? What I mean is will the oil be too cold (w/ or w/o a t-stat really) to flow properly and lubricate because it never gets and stays at operating temp?

I know we're kind of going off topic I guess but these questions have been rattling around for awhile since I have this part to install, but haven't yet because don't know how to do the rest.
With a thermostat it should take no additional time to warm up.

Yes you can run the oil too cold - cold oil does not lubricate as well and if it doesn't warm up enough you won't get the leftover fuel and water from condensation out of it. I'm currently running no cooler because I haven't bought a thermostat yet. With the IAT's that this tiny turbo gets me I am not hard on the car long enough to need a cooler quite yet... it's definitely on the list though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts