Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do i need to look for to make it run again. I know it could be a plus but i'm not shaddy. It just stopped working today the trip stopped working as well. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
281cipwr said:
thats why you get a hypertech instead of buying 2 speedcals
Why would you need to buy two speedcals?Because one died?

willie(maker of the speedcal)
, ALWAYS handles any speedcal problems with out having to send it back to dmp.

He is very friendly and helpful to get ANY problems straight.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
white99gt, thanks for the support.

sapperstang78 and 281cipwr, Jesus Christ guys give it a rest. You may find this hard to believe but not ALL problem issues on a car revolve around a SpeedCal...

now to the topic of this thread, Black2VGT, this happened on my 96 Cobra (no it wasnt a SpeedCal and the speedo worked just fine...). Mine was under warranty so no biggie. I've seen other guys post where they opened up the dash and worked some WD40 into the gear mechanism and got it working again. If not its a dealer item only. Good luck.

[edit] do a search and see if you can get more info on what they sprayed into the odometer gears. Dont honestly remember if it was WD40 or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm taking it your speedo still works. Just repair my 96 with same problem. There is a small motor that turns the gear to the odometer. Mine gear had a piece broke off it. i had a 2nd speedo assy and just change the gears. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm taking it your speedo still works. Just repair my 96 with same problem. There is a small motor that turns the gear to the odometer. Mine gear had a piece broke off it. i had a 2nd speedo assy and just change the gears. Hope that helps
The 99+ have electronic ones..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Jonathan, his sig just talks about 99+ intake, heads, and cams. I'm assuming its a 96-98 GT, thats how I interpreted it anyway. But yes, that does need to be clarified.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Cobra: good point and good call, didn't notice his sig.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok sorry I have a 96 Gt and it is the Odometer and not speedometer THe miles on the car. I would like to sell it in the future and not have anyone question the milage.

Thanks for all the responses. WHat should i do?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Gotta be in the dash cluster then. As has already been posted its somewhere in the motor or gear drive to the odometer. Since the speedo works the electrical signal is making it into the dash cluster so thats gotta be it.

[edit] so to answer your question, pull the gauge cluster and try to get a look at the motor and geartrain. Like I said, I've heard some a couple of guys spraying some form of lubricant on the gear train and got it working again. As also posted a busted tooth on a gear was another cause.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Check the ground wire on the computer/ECM. If it's not hooked up, you'll get the same symptoms. Takes like 5 minutes to check to ensure it's properly grounded.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts