Ford Mustang Forums banner

Odd ball ignition problem....need ideas

452 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FISHTAIL 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I need a little help with this one. It all started when I got an MSD coil and Dist for my 92GT(stock motor cept for 1.7's, and 24#ers). Car ran fine for a day or so, then started missing really badly. I returned the dist and coil, got a new dist, installed it same deal. Put the new coil on with the stock dist, ran fine. Sent the dist back to MSD to get repaired, they "fixed" it, and it did the same thing. Sent it back again, and they still have it. Car was running ok. Some days it was faster than others, but it's always done that. Now to the point......Up until tonight I figured that the problem was the dist(since we got it to duplicate the problem in another car) but now I"m not so sure. While on my way around tonight, I had the car stall on me 6 times. WHILE I was in gear, and going about 55mph. It would stall, then backfire and come back to life. Had it stall once when I came to a stop, and the other 5 were while I was in motion. It started back up EVERY time right away. I have Two tachs, one autometer hooked to the coil, the other the factory unit. WHen the car stalls, the autometer hits 0, while the factory unit shows how fast the motor is turning while I'm coasting to a stop which means the coil isn't fireing. I'm inclined to think it's a bad TFI, but I just replaced it last summer.

Additionally when I punched it in first gear the stock tach jumped all over the damn place....and the car wasn't going anywhere particuarlly quickly....didn't even catch tire. I'd really like to think that the TFI is the culprit, but given how the car ran with the MSD distributor I'm wondering if I don't have another problem present. The plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are all new. Is there another component that I should be checking? Any ideas, suggestions? I'm perplexed.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen problems when running after market coils. They sometimes do crazy things. The TFI isn't the same one with the stock dist. and the MSD is it? If not, I doubt you have two bad ones unless the coils did it. You didn't mention the EEC. Do you know it to be good?

#3 ·
Well the TFI module on the MSD, and on the factory dist seem to be the same, as they are interchangeable. However, I don't have the MSD dist in the car right now, it's in Texas. It's the stock dist, and an aftermarket(meaning from wholesale auto parts) TFI module. The coil I'm fairly certian is alright, although I did keep the factory unit so that would be easy enough to exchange.
As for the EEC.....I'm hoping that has nothing to do with this problem, but I haven't tried exchangeing it with anyone else to see if it solves the issue. There haven't been any other problems with the car until now....I talked with ford today, and they seem to think that it's the TFI as well...but I can't help but think there is another culprit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.