Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live in the wonderful state of California and we only have 91 octane I run octane booster in my car when I race. My question is how much of this can I run? The one that I buy says that it treats 16 gallons and raises octane 10 points which is only 1 octane. Would it be bad to run 2 or 3 of these to raise my total to like 94 octane? I was thinking that I could get some more boost out of my car if I raised the octane.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wouldnt it be easier to just get some vp fuel at the track?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They don't sell race gas at the Shi**y tracks that I go to. I'm getting my car tuned tomorrow and I want to get it tuned with the Octane booster in it. I have no chance of getting any race gas before I get dyno tuned tomorrow, so the octane booster is my only option right now. I guess that I'll just keep it simple and use just one because once it gets tuned with it I'll have to make sure I use the same amount every time I race. I think I have an old MM&FF mag that has an article on this. I'm gonna try and dig it out.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carlsbad and Qualcomm.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
yuo can get vp racing fuel at places that sell dirt bike parts. they sell it in 5 gallon cans for liek $25 bucks which is about the going price. and no it's nto bad to mix 2 or 3 cans of octain booster in one tank of gas. It normally doesn't actually raise it a full 10 points per can of octaine booster anyway. that is the highest they get. And with our crappy california gas it really doesn't.. the best thing is to mix in some racing gas.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FordFreak, I'm heading up your way in the morning. I'm getting my car dyno tuned at Swanson's. Now that I think about it he sells race gas there. My car is not on a trailor or anything though, so I'd rather just try to raise the octane a few points until I go higher than 10 pounds of boost. I didn't say that the octane booster would raise the octane 10 points, but that 10 points= 1 octane. The 0-60 brand that I picked up raises the octane 10 points which is 1 octane. I think that I'm going to run 2 of them tomorrow which should put me around 93 octane total.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
well your sort of heading up my way. I'm up by magic mountain. Most octane boosters post their highest acheivable ratings but with out crappy gas usually doesn;t happen. having race in yru car while driving in town doesn;t hurt anything. I used to drive a car around that could only run racing gas. Good luck on the dyno. No worries about running 2 cans of octane boost. I have been known to run 3 cans my self. Let me knwo how everything goes. ANd since your in so cali I yuo might want to check out www.salsspeedshop.com and click on the mustang drag days7 it happens on Feb 22nd at LACR in palmdale. In case you are intested. and if you are check out teh message board onthere they have a discussion going on about it and class rules and what not.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think that I'll be at the drag day, but I'll see you at the next funford weekend for sure. Later,

Bobby

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
cool cool and good luck tomorrow at your dyno apptmnt

·
Registered
64 Posts
have any of you heard of any negatives of using octane booter...?!

does the car get used to the extra octane or something and then run shi&*y if you don't keep using it...?!
i have a 90 GT...
thanks!

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I personally have never had that happen.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Check out Union 76's website, at some stations they sell 100 octane right out of the pump. I'm lucky, one of the stations about 10 miles from my house sells it.

You can call an 800 number (won't help you in this case on short notice) to see if there is one near you.

Just another option.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
there's a 76 station right around the corner from my house that carries it as well.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to look into that. Thanks for the info. There are a few near my house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts