Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sending thanks to my buddy Mike In Boston for a great gift - an OBD2 extension cable. I saw he had one in his Pro M controlled Corvette and was like, “What is that?!?!” He had a second one on his shelf and he gave it to me.

Seriously, these are awesome. I can’t count how many times I’ve pulled a lat reaching back behind the passenger seat from the driver’s seat while attempting to plug into the Pro M OBD2 connector. I just leave the extension plugged in all the time and have the end of it up near the passenger seat belt buckle where it is much more accessible.

If you’ve never seen one, do a Google search and they’ll come up. They are short money and well worth it if you normally struggle to reach the plug.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried one also. couldn't communicate. probably China's finest. Do you have a link to a quality one?
The one I have says Diageng on it. If you type "diageng obd2 extension cable" into Google it comes up sold on Amazon. I am not sure of the rules on links.

Mine has worked well so far.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The one I have says Diageng on it. If you type "diageng obd2 extension cable" into Google it comes up sold on Amazon. I am not sure of the rules on links.

Mine has worked well so far.
Doesn't appear that one is available any longer? At least it says out of stock and not sure when or if it will be back in stock?

I'm still a newbie to the ProM world. So you connect an ODBD2 scanner to the module to check for codes, instead of plugging the laptop in? Is this for convenience, what are the Pro's/Con's?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't appear that one is available any longer? At least it says out of stock and not sure when or if it will be back in stock?

I'm still a newbie to the ProM world. So you connect an ODBD2 scanner to the module to check for codes, instead of plugging the laptop in? Is this for convenience, what are the Pro's/Con's?
Ah, you're right. I didn't look closely. I just looked up the name on the one that was given to me. At this point, there would be no difference between my searches and yours. This just happens to be the one given to me. I don't know when Mike In Boston bought it.

You connect your laptop to the Pro M ECU via a USB cable to a CAN Box that plugs into the Pro M's own OBD2 port. You need to do that to set all your parameters, change tunes, monitor anything you want, and check/clear codes.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mentioning USB reminds me...Also thanks to Craig A who gave me some USB extension cables! These are useful if you want to bring your laptop out to the engine bay to monitor things while the car is running. Personally I find them very handy for watching TPS Voltage when adjusting the throttle stop screw.

And while really nothing to do with Pro M, thanks to Michael Plummer for my new Ford Performance Bullitt pedals!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris just messaged me asking why I'm reaching into the back seat to plug in when the instructions clearly show that you're supposed to run the OBD2 trunk under the passenger seat and attach the plug to the crossmember directly under the front of the seat.

I reminded him that I installed my system before there were instructions. :LOL: However, there was a video at the time that showed this being done on a Fox.

I had clearance issues under my seat and I was concerned that the harness would get cut, so I left the plug in the back. Shortly after that, I noticed that the seat spring rattled on the top of the ECU case, so I removed it. I never tried moving the OBD2 trunk to the front with the spring removed.

There are now SN95 specific instructions (or maybe 96-98 specific) that do tell you that you need to remove the spring to gain clearance. (Chris called me about that when he first got a New Edge - "Did your ECU fit under the seat?!?!") I just went out to the garage and yes, with the spring gone, I now have room to route the OBD2 harness under the seat and attach the plug in the front where it is a lot more accessible.

So, just in case anyone was wondering why I was pulling lats before I had the extension cable, that's why. I didn't have my plug where the instructions tell you to put it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.