Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys as ya'll migth have seen my earlier posts on my piss poor gas mileage. I found a small vacuum leak around the FPR so I fixed that and it put me up to about 12.5 MPG which is 2 mpg up from last time. However, I am still burning rich. This weekend I am going to pull out my O2's and check them to see if they work right. Is there someway with a multimeter that I can check these puppies?..................The other day I filled my tank with 87 instead of 93 my car ran like **** and I threw like 6 "CEL's" on the way to class. When I got in my car after class she ran fine and only one CEL on the way home today so far no CEl's and she is running fine besieds richness. What could have caused all that ? Thanks

·
Registered
818 Posts
When the CEL comes on, it will change the way the car runs. The computer goes into "limp home mode" causing it to run rich. The timing can also be adjusted. If your car is used to running with a high octane gas, and you down grade to 87, it will of course run a lot different. Have you checked all you fuel lines? What about the plugs and wires. The o2's being bad will give you really bad gas mileage. You could take it to Autozone and get the computer scanned but I already know that they will say the 02's are bad. I think it is standard procedure for Autozone to say the 02's are bad. I don't know anyone that has had their computer scanned there and the 02's not show up being bad.
Shane

·
Registered
865 Posts
Why not pull the codes and find out what they are telling you, follow the direction in a Haynes manual, you don't need a code reader for the basic codes, just a short jumper...

Sn95GT50

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bout how much should I pay for one of the scan tools and anybody got a fav place on the net to buy from. I am looking at one on ebay that is 62$? Thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i got mine from autozone for 30 i think.

it was in a orange box. if it will work on a fox mustang it should work on our cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts