Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it preferable to run a wideband only in the down pipe and turn off the narrow bands in the tune or have two narrow bands with one inserted in each header?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noone?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
IMO, dual wide bands at a minimum - one for each bank. Skip the narrow bands.
OR if you can afford it, thermal couples in each primary pipe..$$$

I just realized I was assuming that you will be using an aftermarket ECU for tuning?

ks

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO, dual wide bands at a minimum - one for each bank. Skip the narrow bands.
OR if you can afford it, thermal couples in each primary pipe..$$$

I just realized I was assuming that you will be using an aftermarket ECU for tuning?

ks
I'll be taking the car to a tuner who uses the factory ecu with a SCT chip.
This is a new build and I'm a turbo dummy. There's two forward facing headers and one downpipe. Would I be placing one wideband in each exhaust pipe right next to header?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That's a bit tricky b/c the MFR's say that the O2 sensors can't withstand the temps pre-turbo but there are adapters/heat sinks that help dissipate the heat from the sensor. People have put the sensors pre-turbo and had no issues so I would look into this
Can that type of system tune each cylinder or each bank? If not then maybe just installing one O2 in the DP is all that is needed. There are a lot of people that have used only one sensor in the DP too so this is your call on which way you want to go. More than likely for a street car one will O2 suffice but you could also install bungs pre-turbo and post-turbo for future setups.

ks

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a bit tricky b/c the MFR's say that the O2 sensors can't withstand the temps pre-turbo but there are adapters/heat sinks that help dissipate the heat from the sensor. People have put the sensors pre-turbo and had no issues so I would look into this
Can that type of system tune each cylinder or each bank? If not then maybe just installing one O2 in the DP is all that is needed. There are a lot of people that have used only one sensor in the DP too so this is your call on which way you want to go. More than likely for a street car one will O2 suffice but you could also install bungs pre-turbo and post-turbo for future setups.

ks
Thanks Kevin. I'll probably run a single WB in the downpipe. I'm not quite sure how to wire it in to the factory ecu.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Thanks Kevin. I'll probably run a single WB in the downpipe. I'm not quite sure how to wire it in to the factory ecu.
I'm not sure you can. I think you will need a standalone WB system not just the O2 sensor.
Example: I use two complete AFX systems one for each down pipe:

ks

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure you can. I think you will need a standalone WB system not just the O2 sensor.
Example: I use two complete AFX systems one for each down pipe:

ks
I see what you're saying. I'm a little confused on this turbo stuff but I'm learning. I'd like to maintain the factory narrow band O2's for their factory designed functions. I got confused by a statement someone made about using a WB and getting rid of the factory NB's. I think they have a standalone ecu.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
They probably were, most people jump onto the WB stuff right away for performance builds.
NB sensors generally only have 1 wire where a WB has maybe six or eight wires..I can't remember. I read an analogy once that compared a NB to a WB and they said it was like comparing and old picture tube TV to a HD TV for computing data. Keeping the factory system in working order will be fine. I know it can be done b/c the gent that tunes my car will put a O2 sensor in the end of the tailpipes of cars that don't have WB's and tunes the car that way. He said the readings aren't as accurate but he's never had any issues.

There is a lot of stuff to mull over when building a turbo car but it's really not that complicated in the end. It just gets overwhelming at times b/c it seems that something new pops up that wasn't expected.

Side Track: I've been fighting turbo draining issues so I have developed some recommendations when it comes to the turbo drains these days.
I'll say this: Make sure there is at least a -12 bung welded into the oil pan for each turbo. Installing them after the fact is a complete mess. I'm installing -16 fittings for each turbo right now. Not Fun!

ks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Good topic. I've found using a single wideband in the downpipe works well in a blowthrough carb application, multi port EFI has its problems with this setup. Try tuning around an intermittently problematic injector using a post turbine wideband.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good topic. I've found using a single wideband in the downpipe works well in a blowthrough carb application, multi port EFI has its problems with this setup. Try tuning around an intermittently problematic injector using a post turbine wideband.
I'm wanting to use the narrow bands for normal ecu operation so the biggest decision is where to place them. The WB will be nice for monitoring afr's visually. I've never had a turbo setup so I'm in a learning curve.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
You should run the 02 sensor in the dp. Best setup for you would be to run a wb to log and narrow bands to the ecu. They do make wb's that do put out a 0-1v signal if you don't run to run that many 02s. I have never used them.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should run the 02 sensor in the dp. Best setup for you would be to run a wb to log and narrow bands to the ecu. They do make wb's that do put out a 0-1v signal if you don't run to run that many 02s. I have never used them.
Would I run just one narrow band in the dp and shut the other off in the tune?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one NB in each tube upstream of the merge

we went through this already.
Yes; I know. Others were also kind enough to reply so I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
22,771 Posts
to help out in complicating matters

where you place them is important

you cannot just place them were you want without addressing the tune

this will need to be verified,

It takes a certain amount of time from the time is fuel is delivered to the actual point where the 02 sensor is, FORD had to calculate that

good luck, oh my, will be fun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts